• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Russell Brand pleads not guilty after being charged with rape, sexual assault and indecent assault

Home> News> UK News

Updated 10:56 30 May 2025 GMT+1Published 10:40 30 May 2025 GMT+1

Russell Brand pleads not guilty after being charged with rape, sexual assault and indecent assault

The disgraced actor is in court facing a series of charges

Joe Yates

Joe Yates

Warning: This article contains discussion of rape which some readers may find distressing.

Comedian and actor Russell Brand has arrived at court to enter pleas to sex offence charges including rape and indecent assault.

The 49-year-old appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court earlier this month, where he heard details of allegations against him – including claims that he raped a woman in a hotel room when she attended a Labour Party conference.

Advert

He is also accused of grabbing a TV worker’s breasts before dragging her into a toilet and orally raping her.

A radio station worker alleges Brand grabbed her by the face, pushed her against a wall and kissed her before groping her breasts and buttocks.

Another alleged victim accuses the comedian of indecent assault after he allegedly grabbed her forearm and attempted to drag her into a male toilet.

Russell Brand arrives at Southwark Crown Court in London, today (May 30), to face accusations of rape, indecent assault and sexual assault between 1999 and 2005 (Jack Taylor/Getty Images)
Russell Brand arrives at Southwark Crown Court in London, today (May 30), to face accusations of rape, indecent assault and sexual assault between 1999 and 2005 (Jack Taylor/Getty Images)

Advert

He was charged by post last month with one count each of rape, indecent assault and oral rape, as well as two counts of sexual assault, relating to four separate women.

The allegations against Brand are said to have taken place against four women between 1999 and 2005.

He did not speak to reporters and looked straight ahead as he walked up to the entrance of Southwark Crown Court on Friday.

The actor was charged following an investigation by Channel 4 and the Sunday Times in which several women made allegations against him.

Advert

Brand, of Hambleden, Buckinghamshire, is expected to enter pleas when he appears before the Recorder of Westminster, Judge Tony Baumgartner, on Friday.

He previously told his 11.2 million followers on X that he welcomed the opportunity to prove his innocence.

He said: "Me, I’ve always told you guys that when I was young and single, before I had my wife and family… I was a fool man.

"I was a fool before I lived in the light of the lord. I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbecile, but what I never was, was a rapist. I've never engaged in non consensual activity. I pray that you can see that by looking in my eyes. I want to thank all of your for your continuing support."

Brand continued: "I want to let you know that our show will be on Rumble on Monday. And of course I’m now going to have the opportunity to defend these charges in court and I’m incredibly grateful for that.

"In the meantime you lot, stay free, and we will be continuing to discuss this matter. Praise the lord."

Advert

As well as addressing the charges he's facing, Brand took the time to criticize the UK government.

"I'm speaking particularly to those of you that are watching this in the UK," the 49-year-old said.

"How do you feel about your legal system right now? How do you feel about some of the high-profile cases that are not being pursued and prosecuted? How do you feel that the Southport murders were handled. How do you feel about the government of Keir Starmer?"

The offences Brand has been accused of date back between 1999 and 2005, the Metropolitan Police said.

Advert

One alleged incident took place in the Bournemouth area, with the others reportedly having taken place in the Westminster area of London.

If you've been affected by any of the issues in this article, you can contact The National Sexual Assault Hotline on 800.656.HOPE (4673) available 24/7. Or you can chat online via online.rainn.org Español: rainn.org/es.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images/Wiktor Szymanowicz

Topics: Russell Brand

Joe Yates
Joe Yates

Joe is a journalist for UNILAD, who particularly enjoys writing about crime. He has worked in journalism for five years, and has covered everything from murder trials to celeb news.

X

@JMYjourno

Advert

Advert

Advert

  • Russell Brand speaks out after being charged with rape, sexual assault and indecent assault
  • David Lynch bluntly refuses to ever work with Russell Brand while sitting next to him in resurfaced clip

Choose your content:

12 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • LinkedInLinkedIn
    12 mins ago

    Dental nurse awarded $31,000 after co-worker allegedly 'rolled her eyes at her'

    Jisna Iqbal was accused of 'bullying' Maureen Howieson as they worked on reception together at a dentistry clinic in Scotland

    News
  • CNNCNN
    an hour ago

    FBI searching for Minneapolis shooting suspect's mom after 'refusal' to co-operate with investigation

    Robin Westman has been named as the alleged shooter who killed two children

    News
  • Vanity Fair via YouTubeVanity Fair via YouTube
    an hour ago

    Zoë Kravitz candidly confesses to 'accidentally dosing several people' with hallucinogens

    The actress spoke about how the bizarre incidents unfolded in a new interview

    Celebrity
  • SiriusXM/Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for TIMESiriusXM/Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for TIME
    2 hours ago

    Journalist makes brutal remarks about 'narcissistic' Blake Lively after being 'subpoenaed' by her

    Megyn Kelly alleges that she's been subpoenaed by Blake Lively

    Celebrity