unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Russell Brand speaks out after being charged with rape, sexual assault and indecent assault
Home>Celebrity>News
Updated 17:18 4 Apr 2025 GMT+1Published 16:54 4 Apr 2025 GMT+1

Russell Brand speaks out after being charged with rape, sexual assault and indecent assault

The Metropolitan Police has charged Russell Brand with rape, indecent assault, and sexual assault

Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Twitter/@‌rustyrockets

Topics: News, Russell Brand, UK News, Celebrity

Niamh Shackleton
Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton is an experienced journalist for UNILAD, specialising in topics including mental health and showbiz, as well as anything Henry Cavill and cat related. She has previously worked for OK! Magazine, Caters and Kennedy.

X

@niamhshackleton

Russell Brand has shared a public response to the charges he's facing in the UK.

Earlier today (April 4), the Metropolitan Police announced that it was charging Brand with a count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.

These charges come after the release of a bombshell Channel 4 documentary that was released in 2023.

Brand is expected to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court for his first hearing on May 2.

Brand has since issued a response and thanked people for their support.

He also denied the allegations made against him.

He said: "Me, I’ve always told you guys that when I was young and single, before I had my wife and family… I was a fool man.

"I was a fool before I lived in the light of the lord. I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbecile, but what I never was, was a rapist. I've never engaged in non consensual activity. I pray that you can see that by looking in my eyes. I want to thank all of your for your continuing support."

Brand continued: "I want to let you know that our show will be on Rumble on Monday. And of course I’m now going to have the opportunity to defend these charges in court and I’m incredibly grateful for that.

"In the meantime you lot, stay free, and we will be continuing to discuss this matter. Praise the lord."

As well as addressing the charges he's facing, Brand took the time to criticize the UK government.

"I'm speaking particularly to those of you that are watching this in the UK," the 49-year-old said.

"How do you feel about your legal system right now? How do you feel about some of the high profile cases that are not being pursued and prosecuted? How do you feel that the Southport murders were handled. How do you feel about the government of Keir Starmer?"

Russell Brand is facing rape and sexual assault charges in the UK (Lester Cohen/Getty Images for The Recording Academy )
Russell Brand is facing rape and sexual assault charges in the UK (Lester Cohen/Getty Images for The Recording Academy )

The offences Brand has been accused of date back between 199 and 2005, Metropolitan Police said.

One alleged incident took place in the Bournemouth area, with the others reportedly having took place in the Westminster area of London.

If you've been affected by any of the issues in this article, you can contact The National Sexual Assault Hotline on 800.656.HOPE (4673) available 24/7. Or you can chat online via online.rainn.org Español: rainn.org/es.

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
a day ago
  • Lions Bay Search and Rescue via Facebook
    6 hours ago

    Friend of actor Stewart McLean 'knew there was big trouble' before death aged 45

    Stewart McLean's death has left his friend questioning how someone 'got the drop' on the TV actor

    Celebrity
  • (Photo by Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images)
    a day ago

    Kyle Busch’s 11-year-old son Brexton shares emotional tribute after NASCAR star’s death

    Brexton's tribute comes days after the family's heartbreaking statement

    Celebrity
  • (Photo by PATRICK T. FALLON / AFP via Getty Images)
    a day ago

    Timothée Chalamet’s mom reveals what his ‘Lil Timmy Tim’ high school era was really like

    The star was a 'rap artist' before achieving global fame as an actor

    Celebrity
  • (Photo by JC Olivera/Variety via Getty Images)
    a day ago

    Scarlett Johansson reveals how there is always a ‘deficit’ in life despite Hollywood success

    The Marvel star says she had to learn to be 'more kind' to herself over the years

    Celebrity
    Live
  • Russell Brand charged with rape, sexual assault and indecent assault as police release statement
  • Ariana Grande speaks out about her experience with 'sexual innuendos' placed in Nickelodeon scripts
  • MrBeast and Amazon sued by contestants of ‘Beast Games’ for sexual assault and mistreatment allegations
  • John Cena opens up about how he felt after being diagnosed with cancer and urges others to know the signs