Advert

5-Year-Old's 'Woozy' After Drinking Margaritas At School

Published 
| Last updated 

5-Year-Old's 'Woozy' After Drinking Margaritas At School

Parents of a number of children at a Michigan school were quick to complain when a child in kindergarten reportedly brought Jose Cuervo margaritas to school.

Two mothers, Alexis Smith and Dominique Zanders, said their children unwittingly sipped from the alcoholic drink brought in by a classmate at Grand River Academy, Livonia.

The classmate reportedly poured the alcoholic beverage into the kids' cups at snack time.

Advert
Grand River Academy in Livonia, Michigan. Credit: Google Maps.
Grand River Academy in Livonia, Michigan. Credit: Google Maps.

Smith said that her child had a few sips from the drink, with Zanders adding that her child felt 'woozy' after drinking some.

"She felt woozy, a little dizzy," Zanders told Fox2Detroit, as she explained that their children were given what they thought was juice during snack time.

However, the drink turned out to be something much stronger, with Smith noting that her child's dixie cup was full of the alcoholic beverage.

Advert

Zanders then recounted what happened: "The girl poured it in her cup, and she drank it, and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and she went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face."

The child was said to have brought in Jose Cuervo margaritas. Credit: Alamy.
The child was said to have brought in Jose Cuervo margaritas. Credit: Alamy.

Understandably, the parents were angry, but not with the children – they want to know how the incident could've been prevented.

Zanders said: "I'm not sure if they are short-staffed or whatever, it shouldn't have happened."

Advert

Grand River Academy issued a statement following the incident, as said that they called poison control to help with next steps and informed the children's parents.

The academy was also willing to discipline the student that brought the drink into school, Fox2Detroit reports.

However, the mothers said that it was the parents of the child that needed to face the repercussions. 

As Smith said: "If your child knows what it is, nothing wrong with it – but they should know not to touch it.

Advert

"That it's not for kids."

Mothers were left angry after their children unwittingly took sips from a margarita. Credit: Google Maps.
Mothers were left angry after their children unwittingly took sips from a margarita. Credit: Google Maps.

A spokesperson issued a statement on behalf of the school, obtained by UNILAD.

They said: "We understand our parents’ fears and frustrations. A student did bring one pre-mixed, single-serve alcoholic beverage that was marketed as adult lemonade to school and share it with four classmates. While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible. It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks."

Advert

"School staff quickly noticed the beverage and immediately addressed the situation, which included consulting with medical professionals at poison control and calling the parents of the children involved," the spokesperson added.

 "We are grateful no student became ill or needed medical attention."

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected] 

Featured Image Credit: Alamy/Local 4 News

Topics: News, Education, US News, Food and Drink

Shola Lee
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Sister of man subjected to 'three hours of pain' in possible longest US execution calls for investigation

35 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Bryce Dallas Howard says she was paid 'so much less' than Chris Pratt for Jurassic World

3 hours ago