Wikipedia reveals top 10 most-viewed pages in 2023 are some of the biggest moments of the year
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Lorenzo Di Cola/NurPhoto via Getty Images / Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
Ever wondered if people have been searching the same things as you online?
Some of the top searched terms on the platform probably won't come as a surprise, but others definitely will.
This year alone, English language Wikipedia had a staggering 84 billion views - and the top ten search terms are as follows:
10) Pathaan with 19,932,509 pageviews: A 2023 Indian Hindi-language action thriller film about an Indian agent racing against 'a doomsday clock'. Many of us Brits might not have heard of it, but it made $128m at the global box office.
9) 2023 Indian Premier League with 20,694,974 pageviews: This year's men's Twenty20 cricket league that's annually held in India. Cricket, you will see, is a running theme.
8) Jawan with 21,791,126 pageviews: Another 2023 Indian Hindi-language action thriller film about a train hijack. You can watch this one on Netflix to see what all the fuss is about.
7) J. Robert Oppenheimer with 25,672,469 pageviews: An American theoretical physicist and director of the Manhattan Project's Los Alamos Laboratory during World War Il (who the movie Oppenheimer is based on).
6) Cricket World Cup with 25,961,417 pageviews: The international championship of One Day International cricket that's held every four years. Australia won this year.
5) Oppenheimer with 28,348,248 pageviews: Director Christopher Nolan's film about J. Robert Oppenheimer, played by Cillian Murphy
4) Indian Premier League with 32,012,810 pageviews: As mentioned, people on Wikipedia really love their cricket.
And as for the top three:
3) 2023 Cricket World Cup
Now, I was today year's old when I learnt that cricket is the second most popular sport in the world, as per World Atlas - and Wikipedia's top ten proves this as third on the list was '2023 Cricket World Cup'.
This was searched a whopping 38,171,653 times.
Cricket in general apparently made up 16 percent of all of English Wikipedia's top 25 searched pages.
2) Deaths in 2023
The page is a round up of notable deaths over the course of the year and, as I'm sure you can imagine, there's a lot.
To break it down, the free encyclopaedia reports the names under the date of death and in alphabetical order.
The list also shared the deceased person's occupation and what they were known for, as well as their nationality.
This page was viewed 42,666,860 times.
ChatGPT was only created a year ago, so it's understandable that people have been searching about what the heck is actually is.
I'm sure you saw the surge of 'We asked ChatGPT to...' articles that news outlets across the globe were doing soon after its release.