• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Woman charged with murder hours after she was reported missing

Home> News> US News> Texas

Updated 11:46 3 Sep 2023 GMT+1Published 11:38 3 Sep 2023 GMT+1

Woman charged with murder hours after she was reported missing

Natalie Navarro, 17, was the subject of an AMBER alert when she vanished on on Thursday

Ben Thompson

Ben Thompson

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A teenage girl has been charged with murder just a few hours after she was reported missing.

Natalie Navarro, 17, was the subject of an AMBER alert when she vanished on on Thursday.

The teen, from Dallas, was later charged with murdering 21-year-old Arturo Pena, who was found shot dead inside a car in Garland, Texas.

Another suspect, Yordy Martinez, 21, is being sought in connection to the killing.

Advert

Police had received reports on Thursday that Navarro has disappeared 'in suspicious circumstances' from an apartment complex in east Dallas.

The teen was last seen around 2.15pm that day and was believed to be in immediate or grave danger.

At the time of her AMBER alert, arrest warrants had been issued for both Navarro and Martinez.

Martinez is feared to have fled across the US-Mexico border to evade authorities and remains at large.

According to police, the 21-year-old has previous criminal charges including a felony indictment for allegedly shooting a gun into a Garland home last November.

Natalie Navarro is facing a murder charge hours after she was the subject of an AMBER alert.
Navarro County Office of Emergency Management

Pena was found dead inside his car at 10am on 29 August, after being reported missing two days previously.

Police soon closed in on Martinez and Navarro as people of interest and issued arrest warrants. Details on how the pair were developed as suspects in Pena's death have not yet been released.

Although the circumstances around why an AMBER alert was issued for Navarro haven't been disclosed, police said that circumstances met the criteria for an alert.

Yordy Martinez is still at large.
Navarro County Office of Emergency Management

The alert was discontinued at 3.30am the next day after Garland Police confirmed she was found in South Texas by law enforcement in Webb County.

Martinez, who was not found with her, had been named as a suspect in Navarro's disappearance.

Upon her discovery, she was arrested and taken into custody.

AMBER alerts are distributed through an alert system to make the public aware of abducted children. They were introduced after the abduction and murder of Amber Rene Hagermen in 1996.

Speaking of the ongoing investigation, Lt. Richard Maldonado of the Garland Police Department said: "There’s a lot of stuff going out, we’ve collected a lot of evidence, so we’re trying to process everything right now."

He said that investigators have yet to determine a motive for the murder of Pena.

Martinez is considered armed and dangerous, and anyone with information regarding his whereabouts is asked to contact the Garland Police Department at 972-485-4840. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to Garland Crime Stoppers at 972-272-8477 (TIPS) or garlandcrimestoppers.org.

Featured Image Credit: Navarro County Office of Emergency Management

Topics: Crime, US News, Texas

Ben Thompson
Ben Thompson

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

15 mins ago
17 mins ago
25 mins ago
an hour ago
  • YouTube/Foxla
    15 mins ago

    Tour guide company breaks silence as nine skiers remain missing following avalanche

    While six skiers have survived the incident, nine remain missing

    News
  • Kevin Winter/Getty Images
    17 mins ago

    Cardi B reveals plans to remove her remaining butt implants in candid admission

    The rapper has been candid about her cosmetic surgery over the years.

    Celebrity
  • Getty Images/TIZIANA FABI
    25 mins ago

    Winter Olympics athlete receives $200,000 donation after being disqualified over 'helmet of memory'

    Skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych was banned from competing by the IOC

    News
  • David Ramos/Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Team USA snowboarder who won gold despite oversleeping set to compete for second Olympic medal

    Red Gerard had stayed up late watching Netflix the night before

    News
  • Mom of teen killed on carnival cruise admits she was 'misinformed' about murder charge against stepbrother
  • Teen girl who was reported missing two years ago reappears and is arrested for murder
  • Cause of death for teen found dead following football game confirmed as suicide after mom suspected foul play
  • Questions FAA must answer after El Paso airport's closure is abruptly reversed