To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Mom turns in her two sons after they're accused of shooting at police
Featured Image Credit: WMC/Holly Springs Police Department

Mom turns in her two sons after they're accused of shooting at police

She said she doesn't tolerate that kind of behavior

A mom is being praised after handing her two sons into police when they were accused of shooting at officers following an attempted traffic stop.

The mother, from Mississippi, immediately recognized her two sons, aged 18 and 17, as the men wanted by Holly Springs Police after doorbell footage was released in a bid to find their whereabouts.

The next morning, she marched her sons down to the police station, insisting she won't tolerate that kind of behavior from her own sons.

Speaking to WMC, the mom, who hasn't been named, said: "I was like, 'Are you serious? Oh, hell no.' I got up, and I asked questions.

"I don’t play no games with them. If you're going to do the crime, you going to do the time, plain and simple."

The alleged incident is said to have taken place at around 4.30am local time on Tuesday, April 2, when Holly Springs officers attempted to pull over a car driving erratically with no headlights on.

When the red Kia Forte failed to stop, police began following the vehicle and shortly afterwards, at least two shots were fired from the suspects' vehicle.

Recalling the incident, Holly Springs Police Chief Darryl Bowens said: "It was dangerous for the officers and any other pedestrians and anyone that was on that interstate at the time. That was a very dangerous situation."

Other local law enforcement agencies were quickly made aware of the incident and shortly afterwards, a Marshall County deputy reported witnessing the suspects leaving the car and running into the woods.

Police released footage of the suspects.
Action News 5

Footage taken from a nearby Ring doorbell was then attained by the police and released to the public, which led to their identification - thanks to their own mother.

After being questioned by their mom, the teens insisted their innocence, but after spotting them on the doorbell footage, the 'emotional' mother did the right thing by handing them into police.

She said: "My child does not get in trouble. He don’t bother nobody. They don’t do nothing. All they do is stay home and play games. So, this is very new. This is very shocking."

Both the 17-year-old and 18-year-old have been charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, while a third person has been questioned but not charged in relation to the incident.

Despite the evidence being put forward, the mother says she still hopes that handing them into police will inevitably help them clear their name.

Topics: US News, Police, Crime, Gun Crime