unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Trump reveals the US will now ‘run’ Venezuela in shocking announcement after capturing president
Home>News>US News
Updated 17:32 3 Jan 2026 GMTPublished 17:07 3 Jan 2026 GMT

Trump reveals the US will now ‘run’ Venezuela in shocking announcement after capturing president

The capital city of Venezuela, Caracas, was struck in the early hours of Saturday

Lucy Devine

Lucy Devine

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: The White House

Topics: Donald Trump, US News, Politics, World News

Lucy Devine
Lucy Devine

Advert

Advert

Advert

President Donald Trump has said that the US will now 'run' Venezuela following the 'capture' of President Nicolás Maduro.

“We are going to run the country until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition,” he said in a press conference.

The capital city of Venezuela, Caracas, was struck in the early hours of Saturday by the US military.

Trump later took to Truth Social to confirm the US’ involvement and drop another bombshell - that President Maduro had been captured and taken out of the country, along with his wife, Cilia Flores.

Advert

Trump held a press conference on Saturday (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Trump held a press conference on Saturday (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

On Saturday (January 3), Trump held a press conference where he praised the US military.

“We’re going to run the country until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition," he said.

“We don’t want to be involved with having somebody else get in and we have the same situation that we had for the last long period of years, so we are going to run the country until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition.

“And it has to be judicious, because that’s what we’re all about. We want peace, liberty and justice for the great people of Venezuela, and that includes many from Venezuela that are now living in the United States and want to go back to their country, it’s their homeland.”

Trump said the US will now 'run' Venezuela (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Trump said the US will now 'run' Venezuela (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

He also said that US companies are ready to go into Venezuela to 'start making money for the country' adding that the US is 'ready' to stage another 'much larger' attack if necessary.

“We’re going to have our very large United States oil companies, the biggest anywhere in the world, go in, spend billions of dollars, fix the badly broken infrastructure, the oil infrastructure, and start making money for the country, and we are ready to stage a second and much larger attack if we need to do so," he said.

“So we were prepared to do a second wave if we needed to do so. We actually assumed that a second wave would be necessary, but now it’s probably not.

“The first wave if you’d like to call it that, the first attack was so successful, we probably don’t have to do a second, but we’re prepared to do a second wave, a much bigger wave, actually.”

Maduro was 'captured' (JUAN BARRETO/AFP via Getty Images)
Maduro was 'captured' (JUAN BARRETO/AFP via Getty Images)

Earlier on Saturday, while speaking to Fox News, Trump offered more details on the strike, explaining: "We were going to do this four days ago, but the weather was not perfect.

"The weather has to be perfect... all of a sudden it opened up and we said go."

Trump said when President Maduro was captured, he was 'in a house that was more like a fortress than a house' with 'solid steel all around'.

Referring to US soldiers, he added that 'a couple of guys were hit, but they came back, and they're supposed to be in pretty good shape'.

Trump also told Fox News that he watched the capture 'literally like I was watching a television show'.

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
8 hours ago
12 hours ago
13 hours ago
  • Seros MUYISA / AFP via Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    CDC announces immediate restriction on travellers from certain countries over Ebola fears

    Citizens from three nations face temporary bans, while returning US residents must undergo enhanced screening

    News
  • Getty Stock Image
    8 hours ago

    Death Row execution halted by staff after medics fail to find a vein for lethal injection

    Staff tried repeatedly to secure IV access in what an ACLU representative described as 'torture'

    News
  • Getty Stock
    12 hours ago

    Symptoms of gonorrhea as cases of STI reaches record high across Europe

    The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) said that cases of syphilis have also doubled over a 10-year period

    News
  • Netflix
    13 hours ago

    New Mackenzie Shirilla jail cell call to her mom released after Netflix doc revealing what she's afraid of

    Mackenzie Shirilla was sentenced to 15 years behind bars in 2023

    News
  • Trump ignores crucial question about Taiwan after meeting with China's President Xi Jinping
  • Donald Trump reveals if Trump Jr. would run for president while detailing his children’s future in politics
  • Trump deal fears grow after US intel reportedly finds Iran’s military still intact
  • Donald Trump hints at worrying ‘next move’ after capturing Venezuelan president