King Charles issues statement after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is arrested

Home> News> World News

King Charles issues statement after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is arrested

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Tuesday

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The King has issued a statement after his younger brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Thames Valley Police confirmed in a statement today (February 19) that Andrew had been detained after images surfaced online showed unmarked police cars arriving at the former prince's home on the Sandringham Estate.

Police confirmed they had arrested a man in his sixties 'on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk'.

Their statement said: "The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court."

Now, King Charles III, Andrew's elder brother, has issued a statement following the arrest.

The King has issued a statement following Andrew's arrest (Mark Cuthbert/UK Press via Getty Images)
The King has issued a statement following Andrew's arrest (Mark Cuthbert/UK Press via Getty Images)

It begins: "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office."

"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities," King Charles continued.

"In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.

"Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R."

Speaking of today's arrest, Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said the individual had been arrested as a result of 'a thorough assessment'.

The constable added: "We have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.

Andrew has been arrested (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)
Andrew has been arrested (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Andrew has made headlines in recent years due to his ties to the late Jeffrey Epstein, and has faced allegations by Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre that she was made to have sex with Andrew when she was 17 in the early 2000s.

The former member of the royal family has long denied any wrongdoing.

Sir Keir Starmer, the UK's prime minister, recently urged Andrew to speak with authorities in both the UK and US regarding Epstein.

He told the BBC that 'anybody who has any information should testify', which would include Andrew.

LADbible Group has reached out to Essex, Metropolitan, Bedfordshire, Norfolk, Surrey and Thames Valley police forces for comment, while Andrew's representatives have also been contacted.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images/Max Mumby/Indigo

Topics: Prince Andrew, Royal Family, Jeffrey Epstein, Crime, UK News, World News