Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct as police swarm home on 66th birthday

Home> News> UK News

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct as police swarm home on 66th birthday

The arrest of Andrew comes after he faced controversy for his links to Jeffrey Epstein

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, has been arrested on his birthday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The brother of King Charles was arrested this morning (February 19) by Thames Valley Police, on the same day that he turns 66 years old.

Images shared online show police arriving at Andrew's home on the Sandringham Estate, where he has been living after he moved out of the Royal Lodge in Windsor.

His relocation came following controversy for his links to convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, who died in prison in August 2019 while awaiting trial on federal sex trafficking charges.

Unmarked police cars arrived at the scene, with plain-clothed officers appearing to gather outside the property.

In a statement cited by BBC News, Thames Valley Police said: "As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.

"The man remains in police custody at this time."

Prince Andrew turned 66 on the day of his arrest (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)
Prince Andrew turned 66 on the day of his arrest (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

The police said they would 'not be naming the arrested man'.

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright added: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Thames Valley Police previously confirmed the force was reviewing allegations that Epstein had trafficked a woman to the UK to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, as well as allegations that the prince shared sensitive information with Epstein while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.

Andrew has denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein (Mark Cuthbert/UK Press via Getty Images)
Andrew has denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein (Mark Cuthbert/UK Press via Getty Images)

Andrew is known to have been linked to Epstein since 1999, with one of Epstein's accusers, Virginia Giuffre, claiming that she was made to have sex with Andrew in the early 2000s when she was 17. Andrew has denied having sex with Giuffre, and has expressed regret at having stayed connected to Epstein, but King Charles has admitted his 'profound concern' at the allegations surrounding his brother.

A statement released from Buckingham Palace earlier this month said: "The King has made clear through words and through unprecedented actions his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect to Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct.

"While the specific claims are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police, we stand ready to support them as you would expect.

"As we previously stated, Their Majesties' thoughts and sympathies have been and remain with the victims of any and all forms of abuse."

Being named in the Epstein files does not indicate any wrongdoing.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images/Max Mumby/Indigo

Topics: Crime, Jeffrey Epstein, Prince Andrew, Royal Family