• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
 Trump makes major threat to three other countries after capturing Venezuelan president and conducting military strikes

Home> News> US News

Updated 07:47 5 Jan 2026 GMTPublished 07:31 5 Jan 2026 GMT

Trump makes major threat to three other countries after capturing Venezuelan president and conducting military strikes

Trump has turned his attention south of the border once more

Joe Yates

Joe Yates

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

President Donald Trump has doubled down on his hardline approach to Latin America, issuing a new round of threats just days after US forces dramatically captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro in a covert military operation.

The comments came as international outrage continued to grow over Washington’s decision to seize the Venezuelan leader and fly him to America to face 'narco-terrorism' charges.

While the White House has framed the move as a law enforcement action, critics argue the operation was designed to remove a hostile government and reopen Venezuela’s vast oil reserves to US interests.

On Sunday (January 4), Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One that America was now 'in charge' of Venezuela, despite the country’s Supreme Court appointing Vice President Delcy Rodríguez as interim leader.

Advert

The 79-year-old went on to warn the South American nation that the US military could return if the country 'doesn’t behave', while also turning his attention to Colombia and Cuba.

He described both Colombia and Venezuela as 'very sick' and accused Colombian President Gustavo Petro of running a government led by 'a sick man who likes making cocaine and selling it to the United States'.

“And he’s not going to be doing it very long. Let me tell you,” Trump added.

When asked whether that meant a similar operation would take place against Colombia, he replied: "Sounds good to me."

His comments triggered a response from Petro, who urged Trump to 'stop slandering' him on X and warned that Latin America must unite or risk being 'treated as a servant and slave'.

The Republican also claimed Cuba was on the verge of collapse following his intervention in Venezuela.

"Cuba is ready to fall. Cuba looks like it’s ready to fall,” he said. “Cuba now has no income. They got all of their income from Venezuela, from the Venezuelan oil. They’re not getting any of it. Cuba literally is ready to fall."

As for whether he'd send his troops to intervene with power in Cuba, he claimed that it would be unnecessary.

Trump shared this image on his social media after announcing Maduro had been captured (Truth Social/Donald Trump)
Trump shared this image on his social media after announcing Maduro had been captured (Truth Social/Donald Trump)

Finally, Trump turned his attention south of the border once more, firing a warning shot at Mexico and claiming the country 'has to get their act together because they’re [drugs] pouring through Mexico and we’re going to have to do something'.

He said that Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum is a 'terrific person', adding: "But unfortunately, the cartels are very strong in Mexico."

Following the manner in which Maduro was captured, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay and Spain issued a joint statement condemning Trump's actions.

It read in part: "We express our profound concern and firmly reject the military actions undertaken unilaterally in Venezuelan territory.

"These actions contravene fundamental principles of international law, particularly the prohibition on the use or threat of force, and respect for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of States, as enshrined in the UN Charter.

"They constitute an extremely dangerous precedent for peace and regional security and endanger the civilian population."

Featured Image Credit: JIM WATSON/Getty

Topics: Donald Trump

Joe Yates
Joe Yates

Joe is a journalist for UNILAD, who particularly enjoys writing about crime. He has worked in journalism for five years, and has covered everything from murder trials to celeb news.

X

@JMYjourno

Advert

Advert

Advert

  • Trump makes threat to Iran ahead of important nuclear deal talks
  • US military ready to 'strike Iran' as jets head to area after Trump's eerie threat
  • Trump makes bizarre unsolicited remark about his sexual preferences during Board of Peace speech
  • New poll reveals how Americans really feel about Melania Trump compared to other first ladies

Choose your content:

4 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • SAUL LOEB / AFP via Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Trump administration faces setback as Supreme Court make huge call on global tariffs

    Trump said he was 'ashamed' of certain members of the court

    News
  • Getty Stock Image
    4 hours ago

    Airlines don't let pilots have beards or facial hair for an important safety reason

    Pilots working at the biggest US carriers like Southwest, Delta and United are not allowed to have beards due to an old rule

    News
  • Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic
    5 hours ago

    Expert shares how weight can affect sex as Jelly Roll's wife makes NSFW admission about him after he lost 275lb

    Jelly Roll began losing weight in 2022 and has so far lost 275 pounds

    News
  • NBC/Getty
    5 hours ago

    Celebrities living with ALS as Eric Dane dies less than a year after revealing diagnosis

    Eric Dane was one of a number of high-profile figures who have been diagnosed with ALS in recent years

    Celebrity