• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
‘Permanent memorial’ will be created on the moon as rocket carrying remains of 330 people is due to launch

Home> News> US News

Published 17:44 6 Jan 2024 GMT

‘Permanent memorial’ will be created on the moon as rocket carrying remains of 330 people is due to launch

The rocket will carry the remains of 330 people including some big name stars

Kit Roberts

Kit Roberts

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A rocket will be launched into space carrying the remains of a number of famous people.

The expedition aims to create a 'permanent memorial' in space, with some of the remains being dropped on the Moon while the rest are taken out into outer space.

Scheduled to launch on January 8 at 2.18am, the rocket is a project by Texas-based company Celestis.

Advert

The DNA samples and cremations will be carried in capsules made of titanium and measuring 1/4 and 1/2 inch.

When the rocket takes off it will be carrying 330 sets of remains, of which 62 will be dropped on the Moon.

These will descend in a six-foot-tall and eight-foot-wide device contraption called the Peregrine Lunar Lander.

The remaining 268 capsules will be carried off into outer space where they will continue to orbit the Sun.

For the service, prices range from a few thousand dollars to a staggering $13,000.

Among those on board are the symbolic remains of US presidents, including those of George Washington, JFK, and Dwight D Eisenhower.

The capsules containing the remains of those being sent to space.
Celestis Inc

The remains of the former US presidents consist of locks of hair of each of them which were given by an anonymous donor.

Celestis CEO and Co-founder Charles Chafer said: “I’ve had a lot of firsts in my career, but this will be the first commercial deep space mission ever done – and hopefully it will be the first of many, many more over the next few centuries."

Other people on board the flight include several members of the cast of Star Trek, including Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura), James Doohan (Scotty), and DeForest Kelley (Dr. McCoy).

It will also include remains of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry and his wife Majel Barrett Roddenberry.

The rocket is scheduled to launch in the early hours of January 8.
United launch Alliance/AFP via Getty Images

Chafer said: “We flew Gene on our very first mission in 1997 and Majel came to be a part of it, and she said to me, ‘When it’s my time, I’d like you to fly Gene and I together on a deep space mission.’

"And me, being 28 years old at the time and having no reason to believe we couldn’t do it, I said, ‘I would be happy to do that.’”

Sculptor and painter Luise Kaish will also be among those whose remains are on board the rocket.

Kaish died in 2013 aged 87, and expressed the wish that she would like some of her ashes sent into space.

Her daughter Melissa recalled her saying: “My dream is for my ashes to be buried in space.”

Melissa added: “I’m incredibly overwhelmed at the idea that it’s actually going to happen … I’m just really thrilled that her dream of the ultimate voyage will be fulfilled."

Featured Image Credit: 6381380/Getty / MASTER/Getty

Topics: News, US News, Science, Space

Kit Roberts
Kit Roberts

Kit joined UNILAD in 2023 as a community journalist. They have previously worked for StokeonTrentLive, the Daily Mirror, and the Daily Star.

Advert

Advert

Advert

  • SpaceX aborts rocket launch to retrieve stranded NASA astronauts who are still stranded in space
  • Uranus will be visible to the naked eye this week and these are the best US states to view it
  • The truth behind Earth’s newly discovered ‘second moon’ and why it won’t be here for long
  • Planetary scientist admits city-killer asteroids keep her 'up at night' as NASA can't stop them

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
5 hours ago
6 hours ago
  • LVMPD
    an hour ago

    Airport staff make heartbreaking discovery after telling woman she can't bring dog on plane

    The woman was arrested at the airport

    News
  • Getty Images/MANDEL NGAN
    2 hours ago

    Trump sends stern warning to UK and Prime Minister Keir Starmer if they give away Chagos Islands

    Donald Trump had previously supported the agreement

    News
  • Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic
    5 hours ago

    Bad Bunny enters his leading man era with first lead role in historical drama about Puerto Rico

    The new project will mark the first time the singer has taken on a leading role on the silver screen.

    Celebrity
  •  James Devaney/GC Images
    6 hours ago

    Sandra Bullock's The Blind Side co-star Quinton Aaron ‘fully alert’ after suffering spinal stroke

    The new health update comes just one month after the actor was left fighting for his life in intensive care

    Celebrity