• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Captured Venezuelan leader Maduro makes 3-word remark as he is led to US jail in handcuffs

Home> News> US News

Updated 09:48 4 Jan 2026 GMTPublished 09:30 4 Jan 2026 GMT

Captured Venezuelan leader Maduro makes 3-word remark as he is led to US jail in handcuffs

Maduro was captured by the US on January 3

Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard Kaonga

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Nicolas Maduro has issued his first comments following his capture after the US went into Venezuela and detained the president.

Donald Trump revealed on Saturday (January 3) that the US had struck Venezuela’s capital city Carcas in the early morning and had captured the nation’s president and wife, Nicolas Maduro and Cilia Flores.

This came as a massive shock to much of the international community, and Trump held a lengthy press conference later that day giving more details.

In the press conference, he said: “We are going to run the country until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition.

Advert

“We don’t want to be involved with having somebody else get in, and we have the same situation that we had for the last long period of years, so we are going to run the country until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition.”

Trump shared this image on his social media after announcing Maduro had been captured (Truth Social/Donald Trump)
Trump shared this image on his social media after announcing Maduro had been captured (Truth Social/Donald Trump)

He also added that Maduro and his wife would face the full extent of US justice.

Maduro has been charged with Narco-Terrorism Conspiracy, Cocaine Importation Conspiracy, Possession of Machineguns and Destructive Devices, and Conspiracy to Possess Machineguns and Destructive Devices against the United States.

As well as this, a video has begun to circulate online showing Maduro being escorted into DEA headquarters in New York.

He briefly utters a surprising three-word statement, as cameras capture the moment.

With a small smile, he says: “Happy New Year.”

Donald Trump held a press conference about the capture of Maduro on Saturday(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Donald Trump held a press conference about the capture of Maduro on Saturday(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

During his speech on Saturday, Trump praised the successful operation and also repeatedly condemned Maduro.

He said: “No nation in the world could achieve what America achieved yesterday, or frankly, in just a short period of time.

"All Venezuelan military capacities were rendered perilous as the men and women of our military, working with US law enforcement, successfully captured Maduro in the dead of night.

“The lights of Caracas were largely turned off due to a certain expertise that we have. It was dark, and it was deadly.

"But captured along with his wife, Cilia Flores, both of whom now face American justice, Maduro and Flores have been indicted in the Southern District of New York, with Jay Clayton, for their campaign of deadly narco-terrorism against the United States and its citizens.

“I want to thank the men and women of our military who achieved such an extraordinary success overnight with breathtaking speed, power, precision, and competence.”

Featured Image Credit: X/@realDonaldTrump

Topics: News, US News, World News

Gerrard Kaonga
Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard is a Journalist at UNILAD and has dived headfirst into covering everything from breaking global stories to trending entertainment news. He has a bachelors in English Literature from Brunel University and has written across a number of different national and international publications. Most notably the Financial Times, Daily Express, Evening Standard and Newsweek.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
7 hours ago
10 hours ago
  • Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic
    2 hours ago

    Bad Bunny enters his leading man era with first lead role in historical drama about Puerto Rico

    The new project will mark the first time the singer has taken on a leading role on the silver screen.

    Celebrity
  •  James Devaney/GC Images
    3 hours ago

    Sandra Bullock's The Blind Side co-star Quinton Aaron ‘fully alert’ after suffering spinal stroke

    The new health update comes just one month after the actor was left fighting for his life in intensive care

    Celebrity
  • Robin L Marshall/Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Jennifer Garner says she wants to ‘wipe the floor’ with Judy Greer as star admits she’s 'afraid of her'

    The Last Thing He Told Me star made the unexpected admission as the pair reunited over twenty years after 13 Going On 30 fame.

    Film & TV
  • Lionsgate
    10 hours ago

    Sophie Turner and Kit Harington both gag after filming passionate kissing scene for new movie

    The Game of Thrones alumni are now playing a romantic couple in an upcoming movie, leading to an amusing moment on set

    Celebrity
  • Venezuela’s vice president makes demand as Trump reveals he has ‘captured’ leader and wife
  • Trump makes serious threat to new Venezuelan leader before she is sworn as president
  • Zelenskyy suggests US should take down Putin in cryptic message following capture of Venezuelan leader Maduro
  • Venezuelan opposition leader gives her Nobel Peace Prize to Donald Trump at White House