To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

At Least Three Killed, 11 Wounded Following Philadelphia Mass Shooting

At Least Three Killed, 11 Wounded Following Philadelphia Mass Shooting

A mass shooting in Philadelphia has left 11 people injured, with at least three dead according to police.

A mass shooting in Philadelphia has seen 14 people shot, with at least three dead according to police.

The shooting took place on the 200 block of South Street, blocks away from where celebrations were taking place for the 50th anniversary of Philadelphia's first Gay Pride Day, just before midnight last night, 4 June.

The gunfire was heard by police who were out on patrol.

In a news conference held early this morning, 5 June, Inspector D. F. Pace reported that several active shooters were spotted by patrol officers firing into a crowd.

He said: "There were hundreds of individuals just enjoying South Street, as they do every single weekend, when the shooting broke out."

Philadelphia Police quickly took to social media to warn locals to stay away from the area.

The post read: "*Alert* Emergency personnel are responding to a shooting incident in the area of 3rd and South Streets. Several people have been injured. Please avoid the area."

A patrol officer fired at one of the suspects, and one suspect did reportedly sustain a gunshot wound, however it is unclear if this was the result of the officer's gunfire.

The suspect then quickly fled the scene, ditching their weapon as they took off, with the police saying a gun was recovered between Third and Second Streets at South Street and American Street.

Inspector Pace said two semi-automatic handguns were also discovered by police.

Spanning from 200 block to 300 block of South street, multiple shell casings were also retrieved.

Joe Smith was waiting outside Theatre of the Living Arts on south Street at the time of the incident.

The 23-year-old told The Philadelphia Inquirer that he heard screams erupting just before midnight. "Once it started I didn’t think it was going to stop. There was guttural screaming. I just heard screams," he said.

Eric Walsh was closing up O’Neals' outdoor seating area when he saw the aftermath of the shooting.

He said: "People were coming off the street with blood splatters on white sneakers and skinned knees and skinned elbows.

"We literally just were balling up napkins and wetting them and handing them to people... it was chaos."

Inspector Pace confirmed that out of the 14 people who were shot, three have died from their injuries.

Police said one of the deceased is a 22-year-old man and another a 25-year-old woman.

Seven of those wounded are reported as having been taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. Meanwhile, five others, alongside the suspect who was shot, were taken to Pennsylvania Hospital.

The investigation remains active.

Surveillance footage from businesses located in the area is reportedly set to be analysed today.

If you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence contact Cruse Bereavement Care via their national helpline on 0808 808 1677 

Featured Image Credit: 6ABC Action News/WPVI

Topics: US News, no-article-matching