Kevin Spacey sexual assault allegations explained after admitting he's now homeless following scandal

Home> Celebrity> News

Kevin Spacey sexual assault allegations explained after admitting he's now homeless following scandal

He had a controversial response to one of the accusations

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Kevin Spacey went from earning $500,000 per House of Cards episode to becoming 'homeless' after facing a deluge of sexual assault allegations.

The former Hollywood icon this week revealed he 'literally has no home' and is 'living in Airbnbs and hotels' since he was first accused in 2017.

Somewhat ironically, he was playing the antagonist of the hit Netflix series at the time and was swiftly cut from the show.

Between 2017 and 2022, Spacey faced no less than 30 accusations - including from at least eight House of Cards crew members.

His reputation in tatters, his 43-year career ruined and pushed to the brink of bankruptcy, Spacey's life had been brutally upended.

The double Academy Award winner vehemently denied all allegations against him, but his legacy will remain forever tainted.

Kevin Spacey's first sexual assault allegation

The House of Cards star was swiftly booted off the Netflix show in 2017 (Netflix)
The House of Cards star was swiftly booted off the Netflix show in 2017 (Netflix)

The first person to accuse the now 66-year-old was actor Anthony Rapp, best known for his role as the original Mark Cohen in the Broadway musical and movie Rent.

Others soon stepped forward with similar allegations, including actor Robert Cavazos, filmmaker Tony Montana and Richard Dreyfuss's son Harry.

On October 29 2017, Rapp accused Spacey of sexual assault and sexual harassment in a Buzzfeed interview, dating back to when Rapp was 16 years old and Spacey 26.

Addressing the issue on X, formerly Twitter, of all places, Spacey said: "I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago," adding he owed Rapp the 'sincerest apology' for what would've been 'inappropriate drunken behavior' should it have been true.

In the same statement, he controversially used the opportunity to come out as gay.

Rapp went on to sue Spacey for sexual assault, sexual battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress under the Child Victims Act.

Anthony Rapp sued Kevin Spacey after accusing him of sexual assault in 2017 (Michael Loccisano/Getty Images)
Anthony Rapp sued Kevin Spacey after accusing him of sexual assault in 2017 (Michael Loccisano/Getty Images)

A New York federal civil court jury found Spacey did not molest Rapp, and he was subsequently found 'not liable' on all counts.

Rapp was ordered to pay Spacey $39,089 in legal fees.

UK sexual assault trial

In 2022, Spacey faced court yet again, this time in London.

In a separate criminal case, he was initially charged with four counts of sexual assault against three men, as well as causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent. Later that year, seven more charges were added in relation to a fourth man.

Spacey was found not guilty by a jury on all charges in 2023.

As per the Legal Information Institute, a not guilty verdict means the prosecution failed to prove the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Spacey was acquitted of all charges brought against him (Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty Images)
Spacey was acquitted of all charges brought against him (Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty Images)

Despite his court victory, Spacey said he was left owing 'many millions' in legal fees.

The $5.65 million Baltimore mansion he'd purchased in early 2017 was put up for auction, and now all his belongings are in storage.

He's since worked with first-time filmmakers and holds out hope a huge Hollywood director could one day revive his mainstream career.

And since 2017, Spacey says his relationship with fame has changed for the better, and he's now 'happier' and 'more comfortable' with 'nothing to hide'.

Featured Image Credit: Rocco Spaziani/Archivio Spaziani/Mondadori Portfolio via Getty Images

Topics: Kevin Spacey, Hollywood, Celebrity, Film and TV, US News