• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Madonna finally releases the ‘most notorious' music video of her career

Home> Celebrity

Published 02:36 28 Apr 2023 GMT+1

Madonna finally releases the ‘most notorious' music video of her career

The Queen of Pop dumped the original video in 2003 at the last minute due to widespread backlash.

Rachel Lang

Rachel Lang

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Madonna pulled her a controversial music video in 2003 after worrying it was going to attract the wrong type of attention.

But now, after two decades, she's finally released it in fully.

News Corp states the Queen of Pop's video for her 2003 single 'American Life' was set to be 'perhaps her most notorious music video' in her whole career.

The video premiered on her YouTube channel this week and has been remastered into 4K goodness.

Advert

And, considering the US was on the cusp of invading Iraq at the time it was meant to be originally released, we too see why she canned it.

Be warned, it is graphic. And there's a ton of swearing, too. Don't say we didn't warn you.

For someone who is no stranger to controversy, the video marks one of the few occasions Madonna bowed to pressure from those baying for her blood.

The clip, a graphic commentary on the then-imminent US invasion of Iraq, was officially nixed on April 1, 2003.

"I have decided not to release my new video," she said at the time, as per MadonnaTribe.

"It was filmed before the war started and I do not believe it is appropriate to air it at this time.

"Due to the volatile state of the world and out of sensitivity and respect to the armed forces, who I support and pray for, I do not want to risk offending anyone who might misinterpret the meaning of this video."

Madonna in the previously-canned clip.
YouTube/Madonna.

While the song was an introspective look at her own experience with fame and fortune, the graphic commentary on America's involvement in the Middle East was shelved.

It featured graphic shots of previous war campaigns, including bombs being dropped and people being maimed.

It showed the singer on stage at a fashion show as people were being blown apart by explosives and the audience seemingly taking delight in the violence.

So, it's no surprise it was dropped.

It was replaced with a hastily-put together music video that showed the pop icon singing in front of flags of various countries.

And, speaking of countries, the 64-year-old is about to embark on a massive world tour that looks back at her career.

'Madonna: The Celebration Tour' will take fans on her artistic journey through four decades of her music and pays respect to the city of New York where her career in music began.

When the tour was originally announced, Madonna issued a statement, as per Reuters.

"I am excited to explore as many songs as possible in hopes to give my fans the show they have been waiting for," the pop icon said.

The tour will mark the anniversary of her debut single and to celebrate her career as a pop, music, and fashion icon, spanning from her 1983 self-titled debut album to 2019's Madame X.

The tour will hit up 35 cities around the globe, kicking off the mammoth tour with Vancouver on July 15.

Featured Image Credit: YouTube/Warner Bros.

Topics: Madonna, Music, Entertainment, Celebrity

Rachel Lang
Rachel Lang

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

4 hours ago
5 hours ago
8 hours ago
10 hours ago
  • The View / ABC
    4 hours ago

    Whoopi Goldberg breaks silence over claims she dated Jeffrey Epstein

    The 70 year old was forced to defend herself after appearing 21 times in the latest batch of Epstein files

    Celebrity
  • Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic
    5 hours ago

    Tommy Lee Jones' daughter Victoria's death ruled an ‘accident’ as cause revealed to be cocaine related

    The Academy Award winning actor's daughter tragically passed away on New Year's Day.

    Celebrity
  • Phil Faraone/VMN18/Getty Images For Comedy Central
    8 hours ago

    Bruce Willis' daughter Rumer snaps back at critics saying she doesn't take money from parents and 'works 4 jobs'

    Rumer Willis has responded to criticism that she takes money from her parents

    Celebrity
  • UPN
    10 hours ago

    America's Next Top Model star reveals how drunk sex incident was filmed and what the crew said to her after

    It was one of the most infamous moments on the reality show

    Celebrity
  • Madonna had the perfect response after finding out she's related to Pope Leo
  • Limp Bizkit bassist Sam Rivers dies aged 48 as band releases emotional statement
  • Owen Wilson reveals the top five films of his career
  • Eminem's brutal lyrics about Diddy revealed as fans claim they finally understand song's real meaning