unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
College student who tracks Elon Musk's private jet responds to being 'banned' from Twitter
Home>Technology
Published 07:58 16 Dec 2022 GMT

College student who tracks Elon Musk's private jet responds to being 'banned' from Twitter

The account was banned following an alleged 'crazy stalker' following a car carrying one of Musk's children

Claire Reid

Claire Reid

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: @jxcksweeney/Twitter / Belga News Agency / Alamy

Topics: Elon Musk, Twitter, Technology

Claire Reid
Claire Reid

Claire is a journalist at UNILAD who, after dossing around for a few years, went to Liverpool John Moores University. She graduated with a degree in Journalism and a whole load of debt. When not writing words in exchange for money she is usually at home watching serial killer documentaries surrounded by cats.

Advert

Advert

Advert

The college student who was kicked off Twitter for tracking Elon Musk’s private jet has said he’s ‘doing fine’ following his ban.

Jack Sweeney, 20, set up the @Elonjet account in June 2020 - and the account used publicly available data to track Musk's private jet.

But the college student had his account banned with Musk threatening legal action after an alleged ‘crazy stalker’ followed a car carrying his son in Los Angeles on Wednesday (December 14). Musk said the man ‘blocked’ the car from moving and ‘climbed on the hood’.

Advert

Following the incident, Musk wrote in a tweet: “Any account doxxing real-time location info of anyone will be suspended, as it is a physical safety violation. This includes posting links to sites with real-time location info.

“Posting locations someone traveled to on a slightly delayed basis isn’t a safety problem, so is OK.”

He also tweeted to say: “Legal action is being taken against Sweeney & organisations who supported harm to my family.”

Elon Musk announced any Twitter accounts doxxing real-time location information will be suspended.
Twitter

Following this, Sweeney saw his @Elonjet account had been banned from the site alongside several other accounts he runs.

Speaking to the Independent, Sweeney said he hadn’t heard from Musk since the ban and wasn’t concerned about any legal action just yet.

He said: “I’m doing fine. He’s just saying that on Twitter, there’s nothing official and there probably won’t be.”

Last month, Musk had said he would allow the account to remain active as part of his ‘commitment to free speech’.

He wrote: “My commitment to free speech extends even to not banning the account following my plane, even though that is a direct personal safety risk.”

But the billionaire appeared to have had a change of heart following the incident - and the account, which had 500,000 followers had been banned, unbanned and then re-banned again in a matter of days.

The ElonJet account has been banned.
Twitter

Sweeney told the Independent that the last tweet the @Elonjet account had posted was sent 24-hours before the alleged stalking incident.

The college freshman accused Musk of making up Twitter’s rules as he goes along.

Sweeney added: “I still think Tesla and SpaceX are cool things that he does but he’s really spiralled the whole Twitter thing out of control. It’s just one Twitter thing after another.”

When asked if he had hired lawyers following the threats of legal action, he said: “For right now we’re just seeing as we go, there’s not a reason to yet. It’s just a tweet.”

Choose your content:

9 hours ago
21 hours ago
a day ago
  • Rockstar Games
    9 hours ago

    Take-Two boss commits to GTA 6 November release despite delay fears

    The latest instalment is still on track for a November release, with an official marketing campaign due to launch in just a few weeks

    Technology
  • Getty Stock
    21 hours ago

    Inside the world’s first AI-governed country that's attracted over 12,000 e-residents

    And yes, the founder has already admitted he's worried the AI might 'start amassing weapons'

    Technology
  • NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU
    a day ago

    NASA's Psyche spacecraft posts update on its way to capture asteroid worth $10,000,000,000,000,000,000

    The spacecraft is heading towards an asteroid which is thought to be worth more than entire economy of Earth

    Technology
  • Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images
    a day ago

    Trump’s $499 gold-plated mobile phone has finally launched and it has a huge design flaw

    There were suggestions the phone may not even release at all...

    Technology
  • Teen breaks silence and responds to Elon Musk's 'creepy' comments after she faced being deported
  • Teen who tracked Elon Musk's private jet on Twitter 'has been shadowbanned'
  • Jury rules against Elon Musk in major Twitter lawsuit that could cost him billions
  • Cloudflare and Elon Musk's X back online after going down worldwide