Mom shares warning after 7-year-old daughter dies while playing with birthday balloons
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: GoFundMe/Kristi Tucker / Stanislavchyk_Misha/Getty
A mom has spoken out after her seven-year-old passed away after popping her own birthday balloon.
Alexandra - known as Alex for short - was born on 27 September 2016 and made all of Channa's 'dreams come true' - a young girl 'full of curiosity' who 'loved arts and crafts of all kinds' and who 'put a smile on everyone's face and brought so much joy and laughter' into her mom's life.
A week after Alex's big day, Channa sat with her daughter and popped all the latex balloons - aware they are a choking hazard for young children - but said her daughter could also pop her foil 'seven' balloon too.
The mom took to Facebook to share details of what happened a week after Alex's seventh birthday celebrations.
She wrote: "For her birthday party, on September 24, I bought a large 34 inch rainbow Mylar number seven balloon inflated with helium, as seen below, along with approximately 10 Roblox themed latex balloons.
"As a parent I was always aware of the choking hazard of latex balloons, but never imagined that there was such a risk regarding these very large Mylar helium filled balloons."
She recalls: "I went to my bedroom unaware of any dangers with this type of balloon. I fell asleep briefly and when I woke up I found my daughter face down on the living room floor where I had left her."
Tragically, she thought her daughter was asleep, but then noticed the balloon 'was around her head'.
Channa 'would have never imagined' her daughter 'would have been able to fit' the helium balloon over her head.
The mom called 911, attempted CPR and a police officer, firefights and paramedics later arrived and took over.
"They worked tirelessly to try to bring her back but their attempts to revive her were unsuccessful."
Channa's post concludes: "I cried hysterically and was in utter shock and disbelief of what had just occurred, that my daughter and only child was actually gone.
"On Sunday October 1st my entire world collapsed around me all because I was unaware of the the risk surrounding these types of balloons.
"It is unknown whether she passed away from helium poisoning or suffocation. We are currently awaiting the preliminary results for the final determination of her cause of death. I was told that this could take up to four to six months.
"I hope by sharing our story that I can bring awareness and educate parents about the dangers of not only latex balloons but also Mylar balloons. I hope and pray that this will prevent and save the life of other children.
"I wouldn’t want anyone else to experience the pain and devastation that the loss of a child brings."
Channa's sister, Kristi Tucker, organised a GoFundMe to raise funds for Alex's funeral - which took place on 7 October - as well as funds for the mom.
If you or someone you know is struggling or in crisis, help is available through Mental Health America. Call or text 988 or chat 988lifeline.org. You can also reach Crisis Text Line by texting MHA to 741741.
You can also call 1-800-985-5990 or text “TalkWithUs” to 66746 at the SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline.