unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Lawyer explains how loophole could stop McDonald's worker receiving $60,000 reward for identifying Luigi Mangione
Home>News>US News
Updated 11:21 11 Dec 2024 GMTPublished 11:11 11 Dec 2024 GMT

Lawyer explains how loophole could stop McDonald's worker receiving $60,000 reward for identifying Luigi Mangione

Calling 911 may not have worked in the fast food server's favor

Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: YouTube/harvardlawyerlee/Getty Images/Jeff Swensen

Topics: Crime, Money, News, Police, Luigi Mangione

Niamh Shackleton
Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton is an experienced journalist for UNILAD, specialising in topics including mental health and showbiz, as well as anything Henry Cavill and cat related. She has previously worked for OK! Magazine, Caters and Kennedy.

X

@niamhshackleton

Advert

Advert

Advert

A lawyer has explained why the McDonald's worker who tipped police off to Luigi Mangione's whereabouts might not get the reward money.

Mangione, 26, had been wanted in connection to the shooting of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson, who died on December 4 at the age of 50.

There was a nationwide manhunt for the alleged killer, with the New York Police Department offering $10,000 to anyone with information.

Advert

Meanwhile, the FBI offered its own $50,000 tip-off reward for information.

After a few days on the run, the 26-year-old alleged shooter was spotted at a McDonald's in Altoona, Pennsylvania.

An employee at the restaurant called 911 to alert police, who rushed over to arrest the suspect.

After being apprehended by police, Mangione faced a Pennsylvania court yesterday (December 10) and was charged with murder and four other counts including firearms charges, as well as facing extradition back to New York - something he has contested.

Mangione has been denied bail and he's believed to be a flight risk.

Luigi Mangione has been charged with murder (Jeff Swensen/Getty Images)
Luigi Mangione has been charged with murder (Jeff Swensen/Getty Images)

While they are said to be the person who called the cops, there's a chance the staff member in question won't get the total $60,000 reward.

Taking to Twitter to explain why, a 30-year trial attorney and YouTuber who goes by Lawyer Lee on social media said: "Legally speaking, the tipster has the right to up to $60,000 in reward money - $10,000 from the NYPD and $50,000 from the FBI.

"However, in many cases, they do not pay, or avoid paying for as long as possible."

She continued: "The $10,000 is stipulated for calling the hotline and could be denied because 911 was called instead.

"The $50,000 is subject to review and technicalities are often used to avoid payment."

Lee also pointed out that there are conflicting reports on whether it was a McDonald's customer or employee who spotted Mangione.

People have since reacted to the news, with one going as far as labeling themselves as 'speechless'.

Yesterday Mayor Eric Adams said “a McDonald’s employee” notified law enforcement. Today, we hear it was really a customer.

Legally speaking, the tipster has the right to up to $60,000 in reward money — $10,000 from the NYPD and $50,000 from the FBI.

However, in many cases, they… pic.twitter.com/p5Q2tFAeem

— Lawyer Lee (@LawyerLeeW) December 11, 2024

"I'm speechless, this is so bad," they commented on the tweet.

"Ain’t nobody seeing no money," said a second person.

Elsewhere it was suggested that someone will only receive the award money once the culprit is convicted.

Another issue the rightful tipster faces is that if they want to get their hands on the FBI's $50,000 reward, they have to be nominated by an investigating agency.

Once nominated, it will go to the Secretary of State who will make the final decision.

  • Luigi Mangione makes bold claim during scathing outburst in court that has already been rejected by legal experts
  • New bodycam footage of Luigi Mangione’s arrest released as exactly what was found in his backpack revealed
  • Attorney explains meaning behind jury nullification as Luigi Mangione faces murder charges
  • Judge in Luigi Mangione case married to former healthcare exec and allegedly owns 'thousands in healthcare stock'

Choose your content:

11 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • James Gilbert/Getty Images
    11 hours ago

    Kyle Busch's cause of death confirmed as sepsis after NASCAR driver died aged 41

    The family confirmed that Busch died after complications of sepsis progressing from severe pneumonia

    News

    breaking

  • Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images
    11 hours ago

    California toxic chemical leak sparks explosion fears as 40,000 evacuated in 'crisis situation'

    Officials have warned that the tank leak in Orange County may 'spill or explode'

    News
  • Maldives President Press Office
    12 hours ago

    Expert says Maldives diving accident victims were just minutes away from reaching surface

    Finnish rescue diver Sami Paakkarinen has said the group lacked 'basic cave diving equipment'

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    12 hours ago

    Cancer-causing chemicals hidden in many common foods, scientists discover

    It has raised concerns about long-term health risks

    News