• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Major update in case of Boeing whistleblower found dead in his truck amid family's startling claim against the company

Home> News> US News

Updated 11:01 14 May 2025 GMT+1Published 10:46 14 May 2025 GMT+1

Major update in case of Boeing whistleblower found dead in his truck amid family's startling claim against the company

Boeing have since spoken out on the case

Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The family who filed a wrongful death lawsuit following John Barnett’s passing last year have reached a settlement.

Barnett died in March 2024 at the age of 62 after being grilled by lawyers for several days about his allegations on Boeing — a business Barnett worked at for over three decades. He retired in 2017.

Following his death, his family filed a suit against Boeing claiming the aviation company subjected him to a 'campaign of harassment, abuse and intimidation intended to discourage, discredit and humiliate him until he would either give up or be discredited'.

What did John Barnett say about Boeing before his death?

In 2019, Barnett expressed concerns about Boeing's oxygen systems on its 787 Dreamliner and claimed that there was a risk that passengers could be left without oxygen if the cabin pressurisation fails for any reason at altitude.

He also alleged that there was a rush to finish the fleet of aircrafts so safety and quality were compromised as a result, said BBC.

Advert

How did John Barnett die?

Barnett died by suicide, a police investigation concluded, after he was discovered with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

"Mr. Barnett sustained a fatal gunshot wound to his head at close range while inside his locked vehicle," a report released by Charleston Police Department last year read.

"No evidence of forced entry was found and there were no signs of a physical struggle within the vehicle. The vehicle’s key fob was discovered in Mr. Barnett’s pants pocket."

"Ballistic analysis verified that the fired cartridge casing and the bullet recovered at the scene had been fired from this specific firearm," police went on to note. "Furthermore, the trajectory of the bullet aligns with the gunshot wound observed. Mr. Barnett legally purchased the gun in 2000."

Former Boeing employee John Barnett expressed concerns about the company's planes (BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP via Getty Images)
Former Boeing employee John Barnett expressed concerns about the company's planes (BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP via Getty Images)

What is the latest update in the case?

After filing a wrongful death lawsuit in March, the family have reached a settlement. U.S. District Judge Bruce Hendricks dismissed the case Monday (May 12), according to court documents, The Seattle Times reported.

The documentation did not share any details about the settlement, but ordered that it needed to be finalized within 60 days, or the case would be reopened.

What has Boeing said?

Speaking yesterday (May 13), Boeing said in the wake of the case being closed, as per Fox 13: "We are saddened by John Barnett’s death and extend our condolences to his family. Boeing took actions several years ago to review and address the issues that Mr. Barnett raised."

If you or someone you know is struggling or in crisis, help is available through Mental Health America. Call or text 988 to reach a 24-hour crisis center or you can webchat at 988lifeline.org. You can also reach the Crisis Text Line by texting MHA to 741741.

Featured Image Credit: ABC News 4

Topics: News, US News, Mental Health

Niamh Shackleton
Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton is an experienced journalist for UNILAD, specialising in topics including mental health and showbiz, as well as anything Henry Cavill and cat related. She has previously worked for OK! Magazine, Caters and Kennedy.

X

@niamhshackleton

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

13 mins ago
18 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images/Allen Berezovsky
    13 mins ago

    Bill Maher reveals text message he sent Kid Rock after he performed at Turning Point USA alternate halftime show

    The comedian said he 'liked' the song Kid Rock performed

    Celebrity
  • Swan Gallet/WWD via Getty Images
    18 mins ago

    Zendaya shares her biggest 'red flags' and admits people make 'mistakes'

    The Dune star opened up in a candid conversation with Robert Pattinson

    Celebrity
  • Instagram/Shaq
    an hour ago

    Shaquille O’Neal shares relatable reason he's brought 20 pairs of underwear to Winter Olympics

    The 7-foot-1-inch retired athlete shared everything he packed for his trip to Italy.

    News
  • Christy Carlson Romano/Instagram
    2 hours ago

    Disney Channel child star tearfully announces cancer diagnosis following advice from James Van Der Beek to get checked

    James Van Der Beek 'passed peacefully' earlier this month

    Celebrity
  • Family of Boeing whistleblower found dead in his truck make startling new claim against the company
  • Little Mix star Jesy Nelson makes astonishing claim against former bandmates after revealing she tried to take her own life
  • Savannah Guthrie makes heartbreaking plea to mother Nancy's potential kidnappers as FBI issue update on case
  • Identical twins reveal startling changes to their faces after one of them smoked and the other didn't