unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Trump administration gives major update on father who was accidentally deported to 'world's worst prison' due to 'error'
Home>News>US News
Published 10:40 13 Apr 2025 GMT+1

Trump administration gives major update on father who was accidentally deported to 'world's worst prison' due to 'error'

The father was sent to the El Salvador prison because of an 'administrative error'

Callum Jones

Callum Jones

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Andrew Harnik/Getty

Topics: Donald Trump, US News

Callum Jones
Callum Jones

Advert

Advert

Advert

The Trump administration have provided an update on the whereabouts of a Maryland father who was deported to El Salvador's notorious mega prison by mistake.

Trump's second term as president has seen a mass amount of deportations as his administration aims to crack down on illegal immigration into the US.

So far, over 250 alleged criminals have been deported to a mega jail in El Salvador, The Center for Terrorism Confinement (CECOT), as Trump's plan to enact mass deportations using a law from World War II is seemingly in full swing following the Supreme Court's approval of its use - something which pleased the president.

However, one man, Kilmar Abrego Garcia, was one of those who was sent to CECOT, even though he wasn't supposed to be there.

Advert

Garcia, who received legal protection from deportation in 2019, was accidentally deported to El Salvador, with the Trump administration noting his deportation was due to an 'administrative error'.

Donald Trump has issued a huge crackdown on illegal immigration into the US (Chris Kleponis/CNP/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Donald Trump has issued a huge crackdown on illegal immigration into the US (Chris Kleponis/CNP/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Abrego Garcia’s attorneys said that he had fled gang violence from El Salvador over ten years ago, but an 'error' on the government's part led to him being arrested by ICE in mid-March 'due to his prominent role in MS-13', which his attorneys denied.

While the Trump administration acknowledged this mistake, they have seemingly resisted helping bring back the Salvadoran national to the US.

But on Thursday (April 10), the Supreme Court stepped in to back up a district’s court order to ‘facilitate and effectuate’ Abrego Garcia's return to the US.

The Court made a 9-0 ruling which declined to block the lower court's order to the administration, which will now mean that Abrego Garcia will need to be released from custody in El Salvador and ‘to ensure that his case is handled as it would have been had he not been improperly sent’.

Following that verdict, a representative from the Trump administration issued an update on Abrego Garcia's whereabouts.

State Department official Michael Kozakv told a judge (via the BBC): "It is my understanding, based on official reporting from our Embassy in San Salvador, that Abrego Garcia is being held in the Terrorism Confinement Center in El Salvador."

"He is alive and secure in that facility," the official added.

The Center for Terrorism Confinement in El Salvador is one of the largest prisons in the Americas (Handout/Presidencia El Salvador via Getty Images)
The Center for Terrorism Confinement in El Salvador is one of the largest prisons in the Americas (Handout/Presidencia El Salvador via Getty Images)

BBC News further reports that President Trump is set to sit down with the president of El Salvador on Monday (April 14) to discuss the ongoing issue.

Trump also told reporters that he 'respects the Supreme Court', adding if they asked him to 'bring someone back, I would do that'.

Following the Supreme Court ruling, the case is set for the trial court as the justices did not provide the administration a deadline for when Abrego Garcia should be freed.

Choose your content:

29 mins ago
6 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • HBO
    29 mins ago

    Harry Potter TV Series set to recast Ginny Weasley as star bows out ahead of Season 2

    The family cited ‘unforeseen circumstances’ for the unexpected exit

    Film & TV
  • Harry Langer/DeFodi Images via Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Olympic medalist Fred Kerley among 40 Enhanced Games athletes competing for $25 million prize pot

    The first ever Enhanced Games is taking place in Las Vegas and will run over Memorial Day weekend

    News
  • Texas Civil Rights Project
    6 hours ago

    Deported mom of US citizen child with rare brain tumor denied return for specialist treatment

    The parents were detained in February 2025 as they were on their way to the hospital

    News
  • George Rose/Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Michigan man wins $1m on the lottery after 'fortune telling machine' gives him the numbers

    A Zoltar machine gave 56-year-old Stephen Huesgen the winning numbers

    News
  • Major update on man deported to 'world's worst prison' due to 'Trump admin error'
  • Man deported to 'world's worst prison' due to 'Trump admin error' returns to US to face criminal charges
  • Trump administration claims judge cannot return father who was accidentally deported to 'world's worst prison' due to 'error'
  • Lipreader claims Trump made telling ageing confession to son Eric as president soon to turn 80