Second journalist dies 'suddenly' while covering the World Cup in Qatar
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: The Gulf News/Instagram. Grant Wahl/Twitter
Another journalist has sadly died while covering the FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
The Gulf Times revealed over the weekend that Al Kass TV photojournalist Khalid al-Misslam died in the country as he was reporting on the global football tournament.
The outlet wrote on social media: "Al- Misslam, a Qatari, died suddenly while covering the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.
"We believe in Allah's mercy and forgiveness for him, and send our deepest condolences to his family. We are all Allah's and to Him we return."
Not much is known about the circumstances surrounding al-Misslam's death.
7News reports the Al Kass network briefly mentioned Khalid's death during a broadcast but didn't elaborate on the situation.
It comes not too long after American journalist, Grant Wahl, died in Qatar.
The 48-year-old collapsed on Friday (December 9) night while Argentina and the Netherlands were playing their quarter-final fixture.
The Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy - the Qatari body responsible for planning the World Cup - said Wahl received emergency medical treatment on site before being transferred to hospital.
Earlier in the week, the journalist had taken to his website to say he had been unwell for the last 10 days, and was on a course of antibiotics for suspected bronchitis.
"My body finally broke down on me," Wahl wrote on Monday wrote.
"What had been a cold over the last 10 days turned into something more severe on the night of the USA-Netherlands game, and I could feel my upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort.
On Thursday – his 48th birthday – he also said on his podcast Futbol with Grant Wahl: “My body I think told me, even after the U.S. went out, ‘dude, you are not sleeping enough.’ It rebelled on me.
“So I’ve had a case of bronchitis this week, I’ve been to the medical clinic at the media center twice now, including today.
“I’m feeling better today I basically cancelled everything on this Thursday that I had and napped. And I’m doing slightly better. I think you can probably tell in my voice that I’m not 100 percent.”
The US Soccer Federation said it was ‘heartbroken’ by the news.
"Fans of soccer and journalism of the highest quality knew we could always count on Grant to deliver insightful and entertaining stories about our game, and its major protagonists," it said.
The statement added: “Grant’s belief in the power of the game to advance human rights was, and will remain, an inspiration to all.
“Grant made soccer his life’s work, and we are devastated that he and his brilliant writing will no longer be with us.”
UNILAD has reached out to Al Kass TV for comment.