Advert

Dog Who Turned On Kitchen Stove Sets House On Fire

Published 
| Last updated 

Dog Who Turned On Kitchen Stove Sets House On Fire

A house in Missouri caught fire after a dog managed to turn on the kitchen stove and start a blaze.

A security camera inside the house snapped the family dog in the kitchen standing on its hind legs over the stove and managing to turn it on.

The stove could be operated with touch controls and apparently the paw of a curious canine companion works just as well as human hands when it comes to turning up the heat.

Advert

Loading…

Paws on the worktop switched on the stove and the heat eventually ignited grease in a pan left over from last night's meal which triggered the blaze.

The blaze began on the morning of Friday (10 June) in a house in Parkville, near Kansas City, Missouri.

Fortunately, firefighters were able to rescue two dogs from inside the house and nobody was hurt, though the same couldn't be said for the house which sustained some damage.

Advert

Southern Platte Fire Protection district chief Chris Denney told Fox News the newer stoves carried a risk of pets being able to ignite them.

Two dogs were unharmed but the blaze did damage to the house. Credit: Southern Platte Fire Protection District
Two dogs were unharmed but the blaze did damage to the house. Credit: Southern Platte Fire Protection District

He said: "New appliances are being seen with touch controls that activate by the simple touch of a finger.

"An animal’s paw can also activate these types of controls. Please use built in safety’s if available on appliances when not in use and accessible by children and/or animals."

Advert

See, in theory newer kitchen worktops can be operated at just a touch, eliminating the need for all those pesky knobs and buttons.

In practice it leaves the door open for a dog to unwittingly place its paws on something important and get a fire going.

Lots of the newer ones have safety features which mean they can't be switched on until the safety is disengaged, eliminating the risk of pets, children or careless adults from igniting the stove.

Advert

Luckily for the homeowners, despite the damage done by their curious dog, officials believe their house can be properly repaired.

In the end things could have been much worse than a fire and some damage, and hopefully the accidental blaze will help others avoid the same risks.

It might also help teach the inquisitive dog to stay away from the kitchen worktops in future.

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks but turning on a kitchen stove is probably one thing it's better dogs can't do.

Advert

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]  

Featured Image Credit: FOX4 News Kansas City

Topics: News, Dogs

Joe Harker
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Taliban spend day on pedalos as they celebrate year of ruling Afghanistan

15 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

California will become first state to offer free school meals to every kid

16 hours ago