• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Dad hit with huge bill after son smashes Teletubby sculpture in toy shop

Home> News

Updated 21:27 11 Jan 2023 GMTPublished 11:27 25 May 2022 GMT+1

Dad hit with huge bill after son smashes Teletubby sculpture in toy shop

A dad was slapped with an eye-watering bill after his son knocked over a life-sized Teletubbies sculpture worth more than $6,000

Aisha Nozari

Aisha Nozari

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A dad was slapped with an eye-watering bill after his son knocked over a life-sized Teletubbies sculpture worth more than $6,000 (£4,800) in a Hong Kong toy shop.

The dad, named Cheng, was standing outside taking a phone call when he heard a ‘loud smashing sound’ and ran back into the shop to find his ‘terrified’ son staring down at the obliterated golden Laa-Laa replica.

Shop staff told Cheng he’d have to cough up $4,280 for the 5.9ft-tall porcelain doll because his young son ‘kicked it over’.

However, CCTV revealed the little lad had actually just leaned on the replica accidentally.

Advert

Watch below:

Believing it was his son's mistake, Cheng agreed to pay the doll’s cost price, discounted down from its $6,726 retail price.

After reviewing the footage though, Cheng criticised shop staff for misguiding him and called on shop owners KK Plus to issue him a refund.

Speaking about the incident that took place on Sunday 22 May in the city’s Mongkok district, Cheng said: “My son was motionless, he was just staring down at the toy. My son was terrified after the incident that he had to skip school. He asked me why the doll looked scary.”

Cheng said the doll should have been labelled as fragile, however owners of the shop, situated inside the Langham Place mall, said: “The decoration has been displayed at its current location since November last year and it did not cause any inconvenience to the customers.”

They added in a statement: “The incident was dealt with immediately and completely resolved, and the payment was proposed by the owner. This large-scale decoration is actually a prototype of the first printing.

Cheng’s son knocked over the life-sized Teletubbies sculpture on Sunday.
Newsflare

“The official pre-sale price is 52,800 HKD. The cost of the prototype involves various expenses, including copyright and design, research and development and mold making, reinforcement, packaging, transportation and more. The decoration is only for viewing and has no toughness to withstand pressure.

“We did not charge the family more than the cost price of the goods.”

The incident left social media users angry, with many pointing out that it wasn’t the young boy's fault.

One person even suggested that a GoFundMe should be set up to help Cheng recover the costs, writing: “Can we please do a GoFundMe for the boy’s father to help settle the cost?”

Another added: “The shop should compensate the parents for the traumatised kid!”

After widespread backlash the store issued an apology and offered to refund the father.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]

Featured Image Credit: Newsflare

Topics: China, Shopping, Parenting

Aisha Nozari
Aisha Nozari

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
11 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • Kyle Mazza/Anadolu via Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Donald Trump accuses SCOTUS of being ‘swayed by foreign interests’ after tariff snub

    The angry accusation came after SCOTUS ruled 6-3 that his decision to implement sweeping global tariffs was unconstitutional.

    News
  • JakePaul/Instagram
    5 hours ago

    Jake Paul issues grim health update two months after Anthony Joshua knockout

    The boxer revealed he was still paying the price for his December defeat as he shared news of his recovery with fans

    News
  • SAUL LOEB / AFP via Getty Images
    11 hours ago

    Trump administration faces setback as Supreme Court make huge call on global tariffs

    Trump said he was 'ashamed' of certain members of the court

    News
  • Getty Stock Image
    12 hours ago

    Airlines don't let pilots have beards or facial hair for an important safety reason

    Pilots working at the biggest US carriers like Southwest, Delta and United are not allowed to have beards due to an old rule

    News
  • NBA star hit with paternity lawsuit after woman claims he's the father of unborn son
  • Dad who threw son, 7, off cliff breaks silence after receiving backlash from viral video
  • Dad issues urgent warning after son, 12, died from contracting brain-eating amoeba at popular swimming spot
  • Father dies in terrifying freak accident after being 'sliced to death by kids' toy' visiting his daughter