To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Armie Hammer breaks silence as he won't face sexual assault charges after two-year investigation

Armie Hammer breaks silence as he won't face sexual assault charges after two-year investigation

The actor won't face any charges for the sexual assault case brought against him.

Armie Hammer has spoken out following news that he will not face charges for the sexual assault case brought against him in 2021.

The Call Me By Your Name actor had been accused of both rape and physically abusive behaviour by a woman whom he had had an on-and-off relationship with, identified only as 'Effie'.

Throughout the investigation, Armie, 36, denied all criminal allegations made against him.

Finally, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office announced on Wednesday (31 May) that Hammer would not face charges due to 'insufficient evidence' and the 'complexity of the relationship' he had with the accuser.

Armie Hammer has broken his silence.
Associated Press / Alamy Stock Photo

On Wednesday (31 May) the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office said prosecutors had conducted an 'extremely thorough review' into the allegations, but that there was 'insufficient evidence' to bring charges against Hammer.

Announcing the decision, Tiffiny Blacknell, director of the bureau of communications, said: "Sexual assault cases are often difficult to prove, which is why we assign our most experienced prosecutors to review them.

"In this case, those prosecutors conducted an extremely thorough review, but determined that at this time, there is insufficient evidence to charge Mr Hammer with a crime."

She continued: "As prosecutors, we have an ethical responsibility to only charge cases that we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

"We know that it is hard for women to report sexual assault.

"Even when we cannot move forward with a prosecution, our victim service representatives will be available to those who seek our victim support services.

"Due to the complexity of the relationship and inability to prove a non-consensual, forcible sexual encounter we are unable to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt."

Armie had been accused of rape and physical abuse back in 2021.
Associated Press / Alamy Stock Photo

Following the announcement, the Social Network star took to Instagram to thank the District Attorney's office.

"I am very grateful to the District Attorney for conducting a thorough investigation and coming to the conclusion that I have stood by this entire time, that no crime was committed," his post read.

"I look forward to beginning what will be a long, difficult process of putting my life back together now that my name is cleared."

In the caption he added: “I would like to say a very special thank you to all of the people who have helped me get through this time. Onwards and upwards.”

The accuser had claimed in a police report filed in February 2021, that that Hammer had raped her in 2017 and abused her on other occasions.

In her report, she had alleged that Hammer had raped her 'for four hours' during which time, she said, 'I thought he was going to kill me'.

Following the accusations, Hammer was dropped by his agency and lost roles in projects like Jennifer Lopez's Shotgun Wedding and TV Series The Offer.

Sexual assault referral centres provide a safe space and dedicated care for people who have been raped, sexually assaulted, or abused. If you want more information on what help is available after rape, sexual assault or abuse, search 'sexual assault referral centres' or visit www.nhs.uk/SARCs to find out more.

Featured Image Credit: Associated Press / Alamy Stock Photo

Topics: Celebrity, News