• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Anthony Joshua breaks silence following fatal car crash that killed two of his friends

Home> News

Updated 10:56 4 Jan 2026 GMTPublished 10:23 4 Jan 2026 GMT

Anthony Joshua breaks silence following fatal car crash that killed two of his friends

The boxer was recently involved in a serious car crash in Nigeria

Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: X

Topics: Anthony Joshua, News

Niamh Shackleton
Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton is an experienced journalist for UNILAD, specialising in topics including mental health and showbiz, as well as anything Henry Cavill and cat related. She has previously worked for OK! Magazine, Caters and Kennedy.

X

@niamhshackleton

Advert

Advert

Advert

Anthony Joshua has posted to social media for the first time since being involved in a car crash that killed two of his friends.

On December 29, the world-renowned boxer was being driven in Nigeria when the vehicle he was in crashed on the Ogun–Lagos state expressway. Reportedly, their car hit a stationary truck.

Fortunately, Joshua, 36, came out somewhat unscathed from the incident, but his personal trainer, Latif Ayodele, and strength coach, Sina Ghami, tragically died.

He was released from hospital a few days after the crash in what was branded as a 'miracle recovery'.

Advert

The man behind the wheel of the vehicle at the time of the crash, Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode, has since been charged with dangerous driving.

The 46-year-old was charged at the Sagamu Magistrates' Court on Friday (January 2).

Anthony Joshua was involved in a car crash that killed two of his friends (Carmen Mandato/Getty Images for Netflix)
Anthony Joshua was involved in a car crash that killed two of his friends (Carmen Mandato/Getty Images for Netflix)

Joshua has remained quiet since the devastating ordeal but took to Instagram today (January 4) to break his silence.

He posted two photos of him alongside the families of Ayodele and Ghami and captioned the snap: "My Brothers Keeper."

Joshua has been showered with condolences from some of his 18.5 million Instagram followers.

"Sending so much love and prayers that you all find peace in this most heartbreaking time," one person said.

"Sending you so much love and strength," wrote another who added: "May God comfort you and surround you with peace."

A third also commented: "I’m so sorry for the loss of two of your closest friends. Losing people who were like brothers is incredibly painful. Stay strong Champ!"

Authorities believe that the fatal car crash may have been 'preventable' if not for 'over-speeding' and 'wrongful overtaking'.

Assistant Corps Marshal and FRSC Public Education Officer Olusegun Ogungbemide said in a statement on the matter: "The Federal Road Safety Corps wishes to confirm a fatal road traffic crash that occurred today Monday, 29 December 2025, along the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway, around the Sinoma area near Sagamu, Ogun State, involving a Lexus Jeep conveying world-renowned boxer, Anthony Joshua, and a stationary truck."

Ogungbemide went on: "Preliminary findings indicate that the Lexus Jeep, which was suspected to be travelling beyond the legally prescribed speed limit on the corridor, lost control during an overtaking 'maneuver' and crashed into a stationary truck well packed by the side of the road.

"The primary causes of the crash being excessive speed and wrongful overtaking constitute serious traffic violations and remain among the leading causes of fatal road crashes on Nigerian highways."

If you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence, contact GrieveWell on (734) 975-0238, or email [email protected].

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
5 hours ago
9 hours ago
  • Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic
    an hour ago

    Bad Bunny enters his leading man era with first lead role in historical drama about Puerto Rico

    The new project will mark the first time the singer has taken on a leading role on the silver screen.

    Celebrity
  •  James Devaney/GC Images
    2 hours ago

    Sandra Bullock's The Blind Side co-star Quinton Aaron ‘fully alert’ after suffering spinal stroke

    The new health update comes just one month after the actor was left fighting for his life in intensive care

    Celebrity
  • Robin L Marshall/Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Jennifer Garner says she wants to ‘wipe the floor’ with Judy Greer as star admits she’s 'afraid of her'

    The Last Thing He Told Me star made the unexpected admission as the pair reunited over twenty years after 13 Going On 30 fame.

    Film & TV
  • Lionsgate
    9 hours ago

    Sophie Turner and Kit Harington both gag after filming passionate kissing scene for new movie

    The Game of Thrones alumni are now playing a romantic couple in an upcoming movie, leading to an amusing moment on set

    Celebrity
  • Anthony Joshua allegedly set to 'retire from boxing' following tragic car crash that killed two friends
  • Two people who died in Anthony Joshua car crash have been identified
  • Anthony Joshua pays tribute to his 'brothers' killed in car crash in emotional video
  • Anthony Joshua car crash may have been ‘preventable’ if not for ‘over-speeding’ say authorities