
The man behind the wheel during the tragic crash involving Anthony Joshua in Nigeria has been formally charged.
Authorities confirmed that Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode, 46, appeared before Sagamu Magistrate Court on Friday (2 December) in connection with the incident, which left the former heavyweight boxing world champion injured and claimed the lives of two members of his team.
The boxer's personal trainer, Latif Ayodele, and strength coach, Sina Ghami, were the two who were tragically killed in the collision that took place on Monday (December 29), after their vehicle struck a stationary truck on a highway in Ogun State near Lagos - with Joshua riding as a passenger in the back of the car.
A police source told the BBC that four separate offences have been brought against Kayode, including causing death by dangerous driving, reckless and negligent driving, driving without due care and attention, and driving without a valid driver’s licence.
Advert
Police spokesperson Oluseyi Babaseyi told AFP: "The defendant was granted bail in the sum of five million naira ($3,480) with two sureties. He was remanded pending when he meets his bail condition."

Joshua was taken to Lagoon Hospital in Ikoyi for medical treatment after the accident, as investigators suggested the incident may have been avoidable.
Authorities previously claimed the crash was linked to alleged ‘over-speeding’ and ‘wrongful overtaking’.
Assistant Corps Marshal and Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Public Education Officer, Olusegun Ogungbemide, said in a statement earlier this week: "Preliminary findings indicate that the Lexus Jeep, which was suspected to be travelling beyond the legally prescribed speed limit on the corridor, lost control during an overtaking 'maneuver' and crashed into a stationary truck well packed by the side of the road."
Yesterday, a post shared on X and signed by Commissioner for Information and Strategy Gbenga Omotoso and Special Adviser Information and Strategy Kayode Akinmade, informed the public that Joshua had been discharged from hospital.

It began: "ANTHONY JOSHUA OUT OF HOSPITAL.
"The governments of Lagos and Ogun states, once again, commiserate with the families of the two young men - Lateef Ayodele and Cina Gami - who tragically and unfortunately lost their lives in the road accident involving Anthony Joshua on the 29th Dec 2025.
"We pray The Almighty grant the repose of their souls whilst granting their families and loved ones the fortitude to bear this very sad and painful loss."
If you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence, contact GrieveWell on (734) 975-0238, or email [email protected].