Alec Baldwin celebrates filming the final scenes of Rust nearly two years after fatal shooting
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Instagram/Alec Baldwin
The actor shared a selfie with his three million followers on Instagram, revealing that his scenes for the Western flick are all over.
“God, it felt good to shave off that beard…,” he wrote.
Many took the opportunity to congratulate the actor after a tumultuous year and a half, as one user wrote: “I bet. There is nothing like a good shave with a fresh blade.”
Another said: “Looking more Alec Baldwin.”
While a third shared: “Now rest.”
Hutchins was fatally shot in October 2021 when a gun Baldwin had been holding on the set of the film Rust was fired.
Baldwin was facing charges over the cinematographer’s death but had the charges against him dropped in April.
As a result, the cinematographer's husband, parents and sister filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Baldwin, and he was charged with two involuntary manslaughter charges.
The Santa Fe's District Attorney's Office accused the actor at the time of 'many instances of extremely reckless acts' and was ‘distracted’ while using the firearm.
Baldwin's lawyers, Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro, praised the decision to drop the charges three months after they were filed.
"We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident," they said.
Nikas added: “This decision distorts Halyna Hutchins’ tragic death and represents a terrible miscarriage of justice. Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe there was a live bullet in the gun – or anywhere on the movie set.
"He relied on the professionals with whom he worked, who assured him the gun did not have live rounds. We will fight these charges, and we will win.”
Baldwin and the producers of Rust are still facing at least five ongoing civil cases.
Additionally, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who was the weapons supervisor for Rust, is still facing manslaughter charges, which she has pleaded not guilty to.
Business Insider reported that according to the search warrant, the 25-year-old had organised the prop gun that ultimately killed Hutchins.
The firearm was left on a cart and was picked up by an assistant director before it was taken to Baldwin.
Baldwin was under the impression that the firearm was a ‘cold gun’, meaning it didn’t contain any live rounds.
The New York Post reported that Gutierrez-Reed has a preliminary hearing that is set to take place August 9-16 in New Mexico’s First Judicial District Court.