• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Netflix sued by free diver who claims film suggests he murdered his wife

Home> Film & TV

Updated 21:30 29 Mar 2023 GMT+1Published 20:43 29 Mar 2023 GMT+1

Netflix sued by free diver who claims film suggests he murdered his wife

The streaming site is being sued due the film's similarities to real-life free divers, Audrey Mestre and Francisco ‘Pipin’ Ferreras.

Katherine Sidnell

Katherine Sidnell

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Netflix is being sued by a free diver who claims a film suggests he killed his wife by sabotaging her air tank.

The French film, called No Limit, is fictional but was heavily inspired by events surrounding the death of Audrey Mestre in 2002.

Because of this, the streaming site was sued for defamation by Audrey’s former husband, Francisco ‘Pipin’ Ferreras.

Advert

Back in the late nineties and early Noughties, the couple had been record-breaking free divers who regularly competed across the globe.

The extreme sport would see the couple dive to a huge depth, without oxygen, before quickly returning to the surface.

Sadly, it was during one such record attempt that Mestre lost her life.

The expert diver and marine biologist had been attempting to break the world record for no-limits free diving, which at the time was 160m.

Having made several practice dives near Bayahibe in the Dominican Republic, Mestre was able to reach 171m before having to resurface.

As she did so though, the 28-year-old realised that her air tank was empty leaving her unable to inflate the lift bag and carry her to the surface.

Though she was helped by a rescue diver and her husband scrambled to save her, Mestre remained in the water for over eight minutes before being pronounced dead.

The dive has been heavily criticised for not meeting safety standards and Ferreras has been the subject of several documentaries about the accident, including one by ESPN.

The film has a disclaimer on it stating that it is a 'work of fiction'.
Netflix

This latest film by Netflix has characters who are eerily similar to the couple, and even has a photograph of Mestre with an account of her death at the end of the film.

Despite this, there is a disclaimer saying that the film is a ‘work of fiction’.

It also centres around the fictional couple, Roxane Aubrey and Pascal Gautier, with the husband being depicted as abusive and plotting his wife’s murder.

Writer-director David M. Rosenthal explained the similarities in a recent interview, telling Variety: “This is a fictionalization of stories that were very much on the public eye — from documentaries to many articles and books about this.”

However, this hasn’t stopped Netflix being sued by the former diver for defamation, with documents being submitted in LA on March 29.

In reaction to the legal drama, Rosenthal told the publication: "What I wrote is fiction, with fictional characters…I’m sure he’s trying to make a buck here by suing Netflix.”

Ferrares has hit back at the film in a new interview.
Netflix

Meanwhile, Ferreras continues to blast the Netflix film.

“I don’t know how people can do something like that,” the diver told Variety. “They turned the story around. They put it the way they wanted. That really hurt me.”

The champion diver has even watched the film, claiming that he ‘suffered’ due to the depictions of domestic abuse and cheating.

“As the movie was going on I started suffering and suffering,” he admitted, continuing: “Everything was very disturbing. Imagine — without knowing — you see a movie that’s about your life and your story with your late wife, and it gets you by surprise.”

Netflix has been contacted for comment.

Featured Image Credit: Netflix

Topics: True crime, Netflix, Film and TV, Sport

Katherine Sidnell
Katherine Sidnell

Katherine is an entertainment journalist with a love of all things nerdy. Starting out writing Doctor Who fan fiction as a kid, she has gone on to interview the likes of Matt Damon, James May and Dua Lipa to name a few. Published in The Sun, The Daily Mail and Evening Standard - she now joins Ladbible as resident nerd in chief.

X

@ksidnell

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Netflix
    an hour ago

    ANTM producer admits 'disgusting' violence photoshoot was a 'mistake' as it resurfaces in Netflix documentary

    One of the models involved has also spoken out on the questionable shoot

    Film & TV
  • Disney
    an hour ago

    The Simpsons writer reveals how the show will finally end as it airs 800th episode

    The show is one of the longest-running series in history

    Film & TV
  • Instagram/@harrison.keefe
    2 hours ago

    Man issues warning about watching Wuthering Heights with parents after it 'fractured his relationship' with his mom

    The content creator gave a hilarious review on the racy movie that he went to see with his mom

    Film & TV
  • TLC
    2 hours ago

    Teen boy details his reaction to finding out he got 15-year-old girlfriend pregnant at just 12

    Hunter and his girlfriend Bella open up about navigating school and parenthood.

    Film & TV
  • Netflix pays tribute to Catherine O'Hara by quietly adding Eugene Levy comedy with 87% RT score
  • Netflix to terrify viewers with new series about real serial killer who made clothes from skin
  • Olympian who confessed to cheating on girlfriend on live TV reveals how he feels about his public admission now
  • Psychologist issues major red flag warning for people who enjoy new Ed Gein Netflix show