unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
How NATO could replace US as Trump 'strongly considering' leaving alliance
Home>News>World News
Published 13:36 1 Apr 2026 GMT+1

How NATO could replace US as Trump 'strongly considering' leaving alliance

Donald Trump has previously criticised NATO members for not 'being there'

Callum Jones

Callum Jones

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Alex Wong/Getty Images

Topics: Donald Trump, Europe, Politics

Callum Jones
Callum Jones

Advert

Advert

Advert

This is how NATO could replace the US in the military alliance after Donald Trump suggested that he's 'strongly considering' pulling the US out.

The alliance was formed shortly after World War II for security purposes, with the likes of the the UK, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway and Portugal coming together to form the group.

The US plays a crucial role in NATO due to the 15.8 percent it offers to the alliance's yearly expenditure of a whopping $3.5 billion.

On top of that, the US deploys between 80,000 to 100,000 soldiers across Europe, showing how vital the country's involvement is to NATO.

Advert

However, President Trump has never been convinced by the alliance and admitted in a recent interview that he's 'considering' leaving the group for good.

So, how could NATO replace the US within the alliance?

NATO is reportedly drawing up a plan in case the US pulls out (Beata Zawrzel/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
NATO is reportedly drawing up a plan in case the US pulls out (Beata Zawrzel/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

The Financial Times reports that it would take between five and ten years of increased spending from European nations to reach a level 'where they could replace most US competences'.

European nations are reportedly drawing up a plan in case Trump decides to pull the plug and it involves a managed transfer over a period as long as ten years, rather than the US just dropping out immediately.

Speaking of the plans, a source told the Financial Times: "Increasing spending is the only play that we have: burden sharing and shifting the dial away from US reliance.

"We’re starting those talks but it’s such a big task that many are overwhelmed by the scale of it."

It remains to be seen whether Trump's threat to leave the alliance will come to fruition, though the president's comments would have certainly sparked concerns amongst the head honchos over at NATO.

Donald Trump has threatened to leave NATO (Aaron Schwartz/CNP/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Donald Trump has threatened to leave NATO (Aaron Schwartz/CNP/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Trump was asked by the Telegraph if he had any plans to take US out of the bloc, to which he responded: "Oh yes, I would say [it’s] beyond reconsideration… I was never swayed by NATO. I always knew they were a paper tiger, and Putin knows that too, by the way."

The US and NATO relationship is certainly a complicated one after Trump joined forces with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for a war in Iran.

Trump told fellow nations on Tuesday (March 31) that are struggling for fuel following the closure of the Strait of Hormuz to 'build up some delayed courage, go to the Strait, and just TAKE IT'.

The shipping oil lane has been closed since the joint US-Israel attack, leading to energy shortages and prices rising worldwide.

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • (Photo by Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
    an hour ago

    Trump 'concerned' about Ebola outbreak and places travel restrictions after American tests positive

    The person who tested positive is due to be taken to Germany along with six high risk contacts

    News
  • Just Giving
    an hour ago

    Woman, 21, took her own life after 'vegan diet led to delusional beliefs'

    A vegan diet was blamed for Georgina Owen's tragic death after a deficiency in her diet caused her to develop serious mental health issues

    News
  • K.C. Alfred / The San Diego Union-Tribune via Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Hate speech allegedly found on San Diego mosque shooters weapon as chilling details emerge

    Five were left dead, including the suspects, following the shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego

    News
  • Getty Stock
    3 hours ago

    Enhanced Games athletes can 'break' world records by doping and land huge payouts

    Competitors will be allowed to chug a number of banned drugs and wear what they like at the upcoming 'Enhanced Games'

    News
  • Europe's plan for NATO without US as Trump 'strongly considering' pulling out
  • Trump 'seriously considering' turning another country into 51st US state
  • Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth does impression of Trump as he reveals advice president shared with him
  • Trump releases highly anticipated UFO files including never before seen footage