unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Donald Trump shares shocking private text messages from NATO chief that includes an ominous warning
Home>News>World News
Updated 14:56 25 Jun 2025 GMT+1Published 14:52 25 Jun 2025 GMT+1

Donald Trump shares shocking private text messages from NATO chief that includes an ominous warning

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte sent a text of support to the president

Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Getty Images/Andrew Harnik

Topics: Donald Trump, Politics, Iran

Niamh Shackleton
Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton is an experienced journalist for UNILAD, specialising in topics including mental health and showbiz, as well as anything Henry Cavill and cat related. She has previously worked for OK! Magazine, Caters and Kennedy.

X

@niamhshackleton

Advert

Advert

Advert

Donald Trump has done something which some would find to be a cardinal sin — sharing a private text message.

The president will have many important figures in his phone, one being NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte.

Trump has been making waves in the world of politics since he came back into office at the beginning of the year, his tariff hikes being one thing to get people talking. And he recently got involved in foreign affairs once more and ordered an air strike of Iran's nuclear facilities over the weekend.

The POTUS' decision received a mixed response from fellow heads of state from around the globe. Some applauded Trump's move in a bid to stop Iran developing nuclear weapons, while others expressed concerns about a full-blown war being started.

Advert

Donald Trump and Mark Rutte seen at this year's NATO summit (Kin Cheung - Pool/Getty Images)
Donald Trump and Mark Rutte seen at this year's NATO summit (Kin Cheung - Pool/Getty Images)

READ MORE:

EVERYTHING US ALLIES HAVE SAD ABOUT AMERICA'S ATTACK ON IRAN

Someone in support of Trump's air strike is Rutte, who took the time to text the president such sentiments.

"Congratulations and thank you for your decisive action in Iran, that was truly extraordinary, and something no one else dared to do. It makes us all safer," Rutte's message read, per The Telegraph.

Referring to the NATO summit that's currently taking place in the Netherlands, Rutte added in his text sent yesterday (June 24): "You are flying into another big success in The Hague this evening. It wasn't easy but we've got them all signed onto 5 percent!"

The percentage Rutte was referring to was how much of each country's Gross Domestic Product (GDP) will be spend on the military, a key demand of Trump's.

Rutte and Trump have a good working relationship with one another (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Rutte and Trump have a good working relationship with one another (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Elsewhere in Rutte's gushing text to Trump, he spoke of what Europe should expect at this year's NATO summit, writing: "You will achieve something NO American president in decades could get done. Europe is going to pay in a BIG way, as they should, and it will be your win."

In an update issued today (June 25), it was confirmed that the five percent has been agreed upon, meaning NATO member states will now spend five percent GDP annual on defense and security in the next decade, says BBC — European countries included.

Following the news, Rutte told summit-goers: "For too long, one ally, the United States, carried too much of the burden. That changes today."

Also weighing in, Trump said the decision was a 'great victory for everybody'.

The NATO official also spoke to reporters about his feelings on Trump sharing his private text messages, saying there was nothing in the message that needed to stay secret, and insisiting that without President Trump, the two percent target defense spending for all NATO countries would never have been reached.

Choose your content:

7 mins ago
an hour ago
9 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Charley Gallay/Getty Images for Netflix
    7 mins ago

    Love on the Spectrum star Abbey Romeo shares update following split from David after 5 years

    The reality tv power couple confirmed they "wanted different things" but will remain "best friends"

    Film & TV
  • MEGA/GC Images
    an hour ago

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor investigated for potential sex crimes as police issue appeal

    Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office earlier this year

    News
  • Seros MUYISA / AFP via Getty Images
    9 hours ago

    CDC announces immediate restriction on travellers from certain countries over Ebola fears

    Citizens from three nations face temporary bans, while returning US residents must undergo enhanced screening

    News
  • Getty Stock Image
    11 hours ago

    Death Row execution halted by staff after medics fail to find a vein for lethal injection

    Staff tried repeatedly to secure IV access in what an ACLU representative described as 'torture'

    News
  • NATO chief finally explains why he called Trump 'daddy'
  • NATO chief shares stern message about Europe and US relations after 'end of the world' warning from Poland
  • Donald Trump’s huge White House ballroom proposal suffers major blow after new Senate decision
  • People think specific meal that the US army have been served is an ominous WW3 warning