unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Seven killed in Mexican police operation to recapture escaped prisoners
Home>News
Published 08:40 3 Jan 2023 GMT

Seven killed in Mexican police operation to recapture escaped prisoners

The earlier shootout and subsequent recapture has left at least 26 people dead.

Emma Guinness

Emma Guinness

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: REUTERS / Alamy

Topics: News

Emma Guinness
Emma Guinness

Advert

Advert

Advert

Seven people have lost their lives during an operation by Mexican police to recapture escaped prisoners in the northern border state of Chihuahua.

Authorities announced the tragedy on Monday (2 January), which began when gunmen attacked the Cereso state prison in Ciudad Juarez, allowing for the escape of around 25 prisoners, including a gang leader.

CBS News reported that the incident took place on Sunday (1 January) in a bid to free the gang leader, who was from the local area.

According to The El Paso Times, armed gunmen arrived at the prison in bulletproof vehicles early on New Year's Day and opened fire.

Advert

The prison has frequently experienced gang violence.
Alamy / REUTERS

The shootout left around 17 people dead, including two agents and five alleged prisoners who were killed amid the recapture operation, the Chihuahua Public Security Department revealed.

Security secretary Rosa Icela Rodriguez added that 10 prison guards who were attacked by the gunmen on Sunday were among the deceased.

According to local media, riots erupted within the prison itself when control was lost, which saw inmates clash with guards and set fire to objects.

The incident led to chaotic scenes as relatives of prisoners had arrived at the facility for New Years' visits when the shootout and recapture operation took place.

This is not the first scene of mass deadly violence at the prison, and CBS News reports that a similar episode in 2009 left 20 people dead.

Rodriguez said that the inmates who escaped were reportedly members of the Mexicles gang, which she associated with the Caborca Cartel.

Its leader, Rafael Caro Quintero, was recaptured in July of 2022 after being convicted of the 1985 murder of an American DEA agent.

He had been on the run for over a decade after escaping prison and returning to drug trafficking.

Another incident at the prison in 2009 left 20 people dead.
Alamy / Sipa US

Authorities managed to regain control of the prison later on Sunday (1 January), and an investigation is currently underway.

A statement from the state prosecutor's office said that police had been attacked prior to Sunday's events, but managed to capture four men after a pursuit.

This was not the first riot at the prison in recent memory, and in August, a riot that broke out spread to the streets, claiming the lives of 11 people, the New York Post reported.

According to PBS, two inmates died during these riots before the shooting spread into civilian areas.

Four members of a radio station also lost their lives after they were caught in the violence as they were doing a promotional event at a restaurant.

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
6 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • Harry Langer/DeFodi Images via Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Olympic medalist Fred Kerley among 40 Enhanced Games athletes competing for $25 million prize pot

    The first ever Enhanced Games is taking place in Las Vegas and will run over Memorial Day weekend

    News
  • Texas Civil Rights Project
    6 hours ago

    Deported mom of US citizen child with rare brain tumor denied return for specialist treatment

    The parents were detained in February 2025 as they were on their way to the hospital

    News
  • George Rose/Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Michigan man wins $1m on the lottery after 'fortune telling machine' gives him the numbers

    A Zoltar machine gave 56-year-old Stephen Huesgen the winning numbers

    News
  • (Picture: Leukaemia UK / SWNS)
    7 hours ago

    Woman, 19, thought she had a cold but it was actually a deadly form of cancer

    Ayley 'knew something wasn't right' when she fainted during an exam

    News
  • FBI offers huge reward as manhunt continues for prisoners who escaped 'Shawshank' style after leaving wild three-word message
  • Deadpool Killer Wade Wilson's father gave harrowing court testimony after turning him in to police
  • Unnerving reason why 'Bubblegum B**ch' trend was linked to Mackenzie Shirilla after she killed two in car crash
  • Child tells police her 9-year-old sister was 'killed by my mom' leading to shocking new charges after arrest