Advert

Mason Greenwood's Accuser Breaks Her Silence As Detectives Continue Probe

Published 
| Last updated 

Mason Greenwood's Accuser Breaks Her Silence As Detectives Continue Probe

Mason Greenwood's accuser has posted a statement online following the Manchester United player's arrest on suspicion of rape and sexual assault.

The allegations against the 20-year-old footballer first emerged on Sunday, January 30, when footage, photos and a voice note allegedly between Greenwood and the victim were posted online, however they've since been deleted. The imagery appeared to show blood running down her face and neck, and bruises on her body.

Complainants of sexual offences should not be identified, as all victims of sexual offences, including children, are automatically guaranteed anonymity for life from the moment they make an allegation that they are the victim of a sexual offence.

Advert
Mason Greenwood (Alamy)
Mason Greenwood (Alamy)

The statement reads, 'I'm grateful to everyone that has sent messages of support and encouragement – thank you. The last few days have been very difficult and I'm taking a break from social media while the police make their investigations.'

Greater Manchester Police arrested Greenwood after becoming 'aware of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence', before further arresting him on suspicion of sexual assault and making threats to kill. Police were also granted an extension for further enquiries before he was released on bail pending a full investigation.

Mason Greenwood has been released on bail. (Alamy)
Mason Greenwood has been released on bail. (Alamy)
Advert

The club released a statement in the wake of his arrest reiterating its 'strong condemnation of violence of any kind', adding, 'As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.'

Ralf Rangnick, the interim manager at Manchester United, said players had been discussing the allegations against Greenwood when asked if it had been 'distracting'.

'We had a good normal week of training with five training sessions including today's training, obviously it was a topic within the team but they're human beings and Mason was part of the group before we had our break. It was a good week of training, we could train under normal circumstances and we are looking forward to the game tomorrow,' he said, as per The Sun.

Mason Greenwood has been suspended from playing or training. (Alamy)
Mason Greenwood has been suspended from playing or training. (Alamy)
Advert

Greenwood has been removed from some parts of FIFA 22, in addition to Nike suspending its contract with him, Cadbury no longer featuring him on its products and the club itself offering to exchange his shirts for free.

Again, while the original social media posts have since been deleted, police have urged users to 'avoid any commentary or sharing of images that could compromise the victim's right to lifelong anonymity, or risk prejudicing a live investigation with active proceedings', and that 'the victim is being offered specialist support'.

If you are experiencing domestic violence, please know that you are not alone. You can talk in confidence 24 hours a day to the national domestic violence helpline Refuge on 0808 2000 247

If you have been affected by any of the issues in this article and wish to speak to someone in confidence, contact The Survivor’s Trust for free on 08088 010 818, or through their website thesurvivorstrust.org

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: News, Football, UK News, Domestic Abuse

Cameron Frew
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Alec Baldwin says 'everyone on Rust set knows who to blame for Halyna Hutchins' death'

3 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Alec Baldwin says 'everyone on Rust set knows who to blame for Halyna Hutchins' death'

3 hours ago