unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
James Cameron accuses officials of dangling 'false hopes' for missing Titanic submarine
Home>News
Updated 21:02 23 Jun 2023 GMT+1Published 20:56 23 Jun 2023 GMT+1

James Cameron accuses officials of dangling 'false hopes' for missing Titanic submarine

Titanic director James Cameron had his say on the way the hunt for the OceanGate Titan submersible was conducted

Tom Wood

Tom Wood

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: CNN/OceanGate/Becky Kagan Schott

Topics: James Cameron, Titanic, World News, Film and TV, Celebrity

Tom Wood
Tom Wood

Tom Wood is a LADbible journalist and Twin Peaks enthusiast. Despite having a career in football cut short by a chronic lack of talent, he managed to obtain degrees from both the University of London and Salford. According to his French teacher, at the weekend he mostly likes to play football and go to the park with his brother. Contact Tom on [email protected]

X

@TPWagwim

Advert

Advert

Advert

Titanic director has aimed some criticism at the organisers of the search and rescue mission for the OceanGate Titan submersible that went missing in the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday.

The submersible lost contact with the surface an hour and a half into a dive down to the wreck site of the RMS Titanic.

Floating debris was found in the water that was confirmed to have come from the sub, suggesting a ‘catastrophic implosion’ that would have destroyed the vessel and resulted in the death of the five people on board.

Those passengers were OceanGate CEO and co-founder Stockton Rush, father and son Shahzada and Suleman Dawood, British billionaire Hamish Harding, and French dive expert Paul-Henri Nargeolet.

Advert

The OceanGate Titan submersible.
OceanGate/Becky Kagan Schott

All are believed to have signed an extensive waiver before embarking on the dive, having paid a reported $250,000 for the eight-day excursion which included the Titanic wreck dive.

Speaking on CNN, Cameron – who has made numerous trips down to the Titanic during his career in deep-sea exploration – said that his thoughts were with the family after hope was ‘dangled’ before them.

In reality, he said, it might have been clear to others that the vessel had been destroyed in the extreme depth and pressure.

The director said: “I watched over the ensuing days, this whole - sort of- everyone running around with their hair on fire search.

“Knowing full well that it was futile.

“Hoping against hope that I was wrong, but knowing in my bones that I wasn’t.

“It certainly wasn’t a surprise today, and I just feel terrible for all the families that had to go through all these false hopes that kept getting dangled as it played out.”

James Cameron said he felt really sorry for the families.
CNN

The US Coast Guard announced that the debris was from the Titan yesterday evening, long after the reported emergency oxygen supplies on board would have run out.

The sub went missing on Sunday, meaning that the families faced a four-day wait to find out whether their loved ones were dead or alive.

In a statement just before the Coast Guard press conference, OceanGate said: "We now believe that our CEO Stockton Rush, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet, have sadly been lost.

“These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world’s oceans."

The Titan submersible, along with everyone on board, is confirmed as lost.
OceanGate/Becky Kagan Schott

The statement continued: “Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time."

“We grieve the loss of life and joy they brought to everyone they knew.

“This is an extremely sad time for our dedicated employees who are exhausted and grieving deeply over this loss.

“The entire OceanGate family is deeply grateful for the countless men and women from multiple organizations of the international community who expedited wide-ranging resources and have worked so very hard on this mission."

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
5 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • efks/getty images
    2 hours ago

    FIFA is forcing 11 NFL stadiums to be renamed at World Cup 2026

    One stadium however has been granted a rare exception to keep its branding for the duration of the tournament

    News
  • Getty Stock Image
    3 hours ago

    USADA warns Enhanced Games will damage athletes and labels it 'dangerous clown show'

    Organizers are offering millions for drug-fuelled world records, but health chiefs say the consequences are terrifying.

    News
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Vanessa Trump announces breast cancer diagnosis in 'personal health update' after undergoing procedure

    The former wife of Donald Trump Jr, and current girlfriend of Tiger Woods, shared the news of her diagnosis on Wednesday

    News
  • Instagram/@katetolo
    11 hours ago

    Biohacker Bryan Johnson reveals what his girlfriend will do on $2 million per year anti-aging experiment

    Kate Tolo has been dubbed the 'female Bryan Johnson' by the controversial bio-hacker

    News
  • James Cameron confirms Avatar movie features major Titanic easter egg ahead of new release
  • Why there are no bodies at the Titanic wreckage site as sealed engine room theory is explained
  • James Cameron slams Amy Poehler for ‘ignorant’ Golden Globe joke about his marriage that ‘went too far’
  • James Cameron finally sets the record straight after Matt Damon claimed he turned down $250m Avatar gig