unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Deepfake Vladimir Putin sends chilling message to Russia after TV channels hacked
Home>News
Published 13:56 6 Jun 2023 GMT+1

Deepfake Vladimir Putin sends chilling message to Russia after TV channels hacked

Many Russians believed the message was real before officials confirmed it was part of a 'hack'.

Callum Jones

Callum Jones

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Twitter / @AlexKokcharov

Topics: Russia, Vladimir Putin, World News, Film and TV

Callum Jones
Callum Jones

Advert

Advert

Advert

Many Russian TV stations were hacked on Monday (5 June), where perpetrators played a message from a deepfake Vladimir Putin.

For those unaware, deepfakes are pieces of rather clever media to replace one person's actual likeness with another.

The fact is, these are usually so convincing - leading to many people believing the deepfake is in fact the real individual.


Advert

The Putin deepfake claimed Ukraine had invaded Russian borders.
Twitter / @AlexKokcharov

This particular deepfake was of Russian president Vladimir Putin - who declared a martial law and said Ukraine's army had invaded Russia in an address appearing on some Russian TV and radio stations.

The fake Putin added that the Ukrainian's had entered three boarder regions, and would hence deligate a martial law in those areas.

Standing next to the Russian flag, Putin's deepfake added he would shortly sign a decree to announce general mobilisation.

"We need to pull all efforts of Russians together to defeat the dangerous and insidious enemy," he could be heard saying.

Before too many Russians began to panic about the address that was labelled the 'emergency appeal of the president', Kremlin spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov, confirmed the address was indeed fake.

"Definitely there was no address. It is true that there were hacks in some regions," he said.

Russian state news agency TASS quoted the spokesperson saying the video that appeared on some channels was a 'hack', before adding 'experts are already dealing with it'.

Local media have since reported the address was fake.
Twitter / @AlexKokcharov

He said: "I know that there was a hack into Radio Mir and into some networks. Now all this has been eliminated and taken under control."

But as of yet, local media have reported no suspects have been identified.

Russia’s International Television and Radio Company MTRK said in a statement following reports of the address that it was an 'absolute fake'.

They added: "Today, from 12.41pm to 13.18pm, unidentified persons made an illegal tie-in with the substitution of the content of the information programs of the Mir TV channel and Mir radio.

"All information posted from 12.41 to 13.18pm has nothing to do with the Mir MTRK and is an absolute fake and provocation."

There were more reports of hacking in Russia’s Voronezh region, where authorities were dealing with reports local radio stations had been hacked.

However, in an official statement put out by officials on Telegram, residents' minds were put to ease.

"Residents of the Voronezh region report another hacking of radio broadcasting frequencies," the statement began.

"We officially inform you that the situation in the region continues to be controlled by the authorities and law enforcement agencies. There is no cause for concern."

Choose your content:

25 mins ago
4 hours ago
6 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • Adam Pretty/Getty Images
    25 mins ago

    Olympic gold medal swimmer is competing in Enhanced Games clean - but still faces LA 2028 ban

    The 2x Olympic Gold medalist said he had no other choice but to compete for the huge sums of money on offer

    News
  • Supplied
    4 hours ago

    Man walking 3,000 miles across the USA reveals 'criminally underrated' state - but it's still not his favorite

    He's walking across the US for a very good cause

    News
  • @LucyLurch/YouTube
    6 hours ago

    Man who has taken over 25 different drugs reveals 'worst reaction' he's ever had

    He described it as a 'real life nightmare'

    News
  • Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images
    12 hours ago

    President Trump will not attend son Donald Trump Jr.'s wedding one day before ceremony

    Trump cited 'circumstances pertaining to government' as the reason he will not attend the wedding

    News
  • Putin ally has chilling response after Trump imposes new sanctions on Russia
  • Mysterious 'Doomsday Radio' in Russia sends first message in months amid WW3 fears
  • Iran sends chilling message to Karoline Leavitt after she announces birth of second child
  • Russia confirms Trump invited Putin to join his new 'Board of Peace' council