• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Man who shot TikTok star on cinema date with 18-year-old sentenced to life without parole

Home> News> Crime

Updated 12:39 28 Feb 2024 GMTPublished 12:37 28 Feb 2024 GMT

Man who shot TikTok star on cinema date with 18-year-old sentenced to life without parole

The killer initially pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity

Chelsea Connor

Chelsea Connor

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The man who shot and killed a couple during their first date has been sentenced to life without parole.

Joseph Jimenez Jr, 23, shot Rylee Goodrich, 18, and Anthony Barajas, 19, in the back of the head at Regal Edwards Corona Crossings theater in California.

The shooting occurred on July 26, 2021, with Goodrich pronounced dead at the scene.

Advert

Barajas was placed on life support in hospital before succumbing to his head injury. His family confirmed his death five days later.

The couple were watching horror movie Forever Purge when they were fatally shot, with Barajas posting to his TikTok - which boasted almost a million followers - about how he was 'excited to find someone to love' shortly before.

Goodrich was a sophomore at Grand Canyon University and owned an eyelash business at the time of her death.

Joseph Jimenez Jr was sentenced to life without parole.
Photo by Will Lester/MediaNews Group/Inland Valley Daily Bulletin via Getty Images

Despite the 'execution style' killings, Jimenez Jr pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, as he suffered from schizophrenia and 'ran out of his pills' before the shooting occurred.

Jimenez Jr claimed to have heard voices from somebody called 'Abigail' in his head, who was telling him that the teens were a danger to him.

Speaking to the Riverside Press-Enterprise in 2021, Jimenez Jr claimed the voices told him the only way he could 'save himself' from the victims was to shoot them.

However, during the trial in December last year, Superior Court Judge Timothy J. Hollenhorst ruled Jimenez Jr as sane at the time of the shooting.

It's also said that he took the time to steal Goodrich's wallet from her body before quickly making an exit from the theater.

The 23-year-old was found guilty of two counts of first-degree murder, and had a sentencing enhancement of personal use of a firearm causing death.

The 23-year-old was found guilty of two counts of first-degree murder.
Photo by Will Lester/MediaNews Group/Inland Valley Daily Bulletin via Getty Images

“There is no question that the defendant suffers from schizophrenia. … It is also clear to this court that the defendant was not treating his mental health issues appropriately by not regularly taking his medication,” Hollenhorst said.

A former friend of the shooter, Carlos Gonzalez, claimed that his friend was mumbling to himself prior to the movie, and kept repeating the sentence: "I can’t do that to them."

Friends of Jimenez Jr said that they felt 'freaked out' by his behavior and left the theater, asking him to come with them, but he declined.

On Monday (February 26), Jimenez Jr was sentenced to life without the possibility for parole for his crimes.

Featured Image Credit: Instagram/@ryleegoodrich/Instagram/@itsanthonymichael/Media News Group/Inland Valley Daily Bulletin/Getty

Topics: US News, Crime

Chelsea Connor
Chelsea Connor

Chelsea is a Journalist for UNILAD. Before this she worked as a Journalist and Comedy Writer for seven years, working for companies such as Newsquest, NationalWorld and Samahoma Productions. She became a qualified journalist back in 2017, completing a NCTJ at Liverpool City College.

X

@theccjourno

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

4 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • Anadolu/Getty
    4 hours ago

    Trump goes on confusing rant about Melania and details putting hand ‘on certain part of her body’ during Board of Peace speech

    The POTUS addressed the viral moment that an escalator stopped working for him and his wife at the UN headquarters

    News
  • Kerstin Gurtner/Facebook
    4 hours ago

    Climber who ‘left girlfriend to freeze to death' on top of mountain details final conversation they had

    Climber Thomas Plamberger is in court accused of gross negligent manslaughter

    News
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty
    4 hours ago

    Trump speaks out about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest as former prince is released from custody

    Donald Trump has addressed Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor being arrested earlier today

    News
  • JORDAN PETTITT/POOL/AFP via Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Police issue update as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released from custody following arrest

    Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody on February 19 — the former Duke of York's 66th birthday

    News
  • Father of 18-year-old cheerleader found dead on cruise makes heartbreaking admission
  • 11-year-old boy fatally shot after ‘ding dong ditch’ prank as police release details
  • Epstein's death was recorded one day before his documented death date, newly released files show
  • Woman, 23, shot dead by dad after allegedly arguing about Trump as inquest reveals details