• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Michael Oher claims The Blind Side family negotiated movie contract on his behalf

Home> Film & TV> News

Updated 07:37 25 Aug 2023 GMT+1Published 07:30 25 Aug 2023 GMT+1

Michael Oher claims The Blind Side family negotiated movie contract on his behalf

He claims the family has made millions from him

Jess Hardiman

Jess Hardiman

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Michael Oher has claimed The Blind Side family negotiated the movie contract on his behalf, amid ongoing allegations that they made millions out of him and tried to ‘trick’ him into conservatorship.

The sports movie is based on the 2006 book of the same name, where black teenager Oher (played by Quinton Aaron) sees himself in and out of the school system, eventually finding himself homeless.

Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock), and her husband Sean (Tim McGraw), take in Oher and become his legal guardians, helping him to embark on a glittering career in the NFL after recognising his potential.

Quinton Aaron starred as Michael Oher in The Blind Side (2009).
Warner Bros

Advert

Oher recently claimed that the legal adoption never actually took place and that Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy simply 'tricked him' into signing a document making them his conservators.

He has petitioned a Tennessee court with allegations that a central element of the film's plot was 'concocted by the family to enrich themselves at his expense' - namely, his adoption.

Oher has now claimed in his new filing that the Tuohys ‘negotiated a contract’ on his behalf for the film.

“The co-conservators never presented [Oher] with any written documentation to show any earnings they derived from the movie,” the documents say.

“[He] has been kept in the dark, forced to rely on the verbal assurances from his co-conservators.”

The Tuohys and their two birth children went on to receive '$225,000' plus '2.5%' of the film's 'defined net proceeds'.

Sean, Collins and Leigh Ann Tuohy.
Jim Spellman/WireImage/Getty Images

The Oscar-winning movie ended up reportedly locking up more than $300 million at the box office while Oher himself received nothing as reported by ESPN on Monday (14 August), despite the fact the story 'would not have existed without him'.

A legal filing from earlier this month reads: "The lie of Michael's adoption is one upon which Co Conservators Leigh Anne Tuohy and Sean Tuohy have enriched themselves at the expense of their Ward, the undersigned Michael Oher.

"Michael Oher discovered this lie to his chagrin and embarrassment in February of 2023, when he learned that the Conservatorship to which he consented on the basis that doing so would make him a member of the Tuohy family, in fact provided him no familial relationship with the Tuohys."

In response to the allegations, Sean Tuohy told the Daily Memphian that the family were prepared to do ‘whatever Michael wants’ - including ending their conservatorship.

He also said the family 'didn't make any money off the movie' aside from Blind Side author Michael Lewis giving them half of his share, which Sean says meant each family member received $14,000, including Michael.

He added: “We’re devastated. It’s upsetting to think we would make money off any of our children. But we’re going to love Michael at 37 just like we loved him at 16.”

Featured Image Credit: Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire/Corbis/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images/ Jim Spellman/WireImage

Topics: Film and TV, Michael Oher

Jess Hardiman
Jess Hardiman

Jess is Entertainment Desk Lead at LADbible Group. She graduated from Manchester University with a degree in Film Studies, English Language and Linguistics. You can contact Jess at [email protected].

X

@Jess_Hardiman

Advert

Advert

Advert

  • Kristen Stewart claims she's 'haunted' by Princess Diana after taking on role as the late royal in biopic
  • Michael Keaton speaks out on decades-long friendship with Catherine O'Hara one week after her death
  • Netflix fans urged to watch 100% rated Michael B Jordan series as his new horror movie Sinners is released
  • Michael Che has sharp response as viewers label his and Colin Jost’s Super Bowl ad ‘disgusting and disturbing’

Choose your content:

a day ago
2 days ago
3 days ago
  • Robin L Marshall/Getty Images
    a day ago

    Jennifer Garner says she wants to ‘wipe the floor’ with Judy Greer as star admits she’s 'afraid of her'

    The Last Thing He Told Me star made the unexpected admission as the pair reunited over twenty years after 13 Going On 30 fame.

    Film & TV
  • YouTube/Screen Rant
    a day ago

    Daniel Radcliffe calls out Harry Potter fans' reaction to child actors ahead of new TV series

    Radcliffe also took the time to offer some advice to the new cast

    Film & TV
  • Prime Video
    2 days ago

    Prime Video just dropped the perfect psychological thriller series to binge if you're sick of rom-coms

    A Prison Break producer is behind the new, 'binge-worthy' thriller series

    Film & TV
  • Netflix
    3 days ago

    ANTM producer admits 'disgusting' violence photoshoot was a 'mistake' as it resurfaces in Netflix documentary

    One of the models involved has also spoken out on the questionable shoot

    Film & TV