Anthony Mackie becomes first Marvel star to speak out on Jonathan Majors' arrest
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Associated Press / Alamy Stock Photo/UPI / Alamy Stock Photo
Anthony Mackie has become the first star in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to speak out about the arrest of Jonathan Majors, after which he was charged with a number of crimes including assault.
Majors has since filed a counterclaim against his ex-girlfriend and the alleged victim of the charges against him, claiming that she attacked him rather than the other way around.
Majors denies all of the allegations, with a trial set to start on August 3.
Marvel has so far remained tight-lipped about the allegations against Majors, keeping him away from the promotional cavalcade for Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania as well as keeping his name, as well as his character’s name, out of the synopsis for the movie on Disney+ despite the fact that he is one of the main characters.
Now, Anthony Mackie has become the first Marvel star to break ranks and address the ongoing situation.
Mackie, who is Marvel’s Captain America these days, certainly didn’t leave any readers in doubt when he told Inverse: “That’s one of the staples of this country.
“Nothing has been proven about this dude.
“Nothing. So everyone is innocent until proven guilty.
“That’s all I can say. It’s crazy where we are as a society.
“But as a country, everyone is innocent until proven guilty.”
He’s got a good point – everyone is supposed to have their day in the court before they can be convicted of anything, that’s how justice works.
Majors has already been chucked by several advertisers and film projects since the allegations, even though nothing has yet been through the courts.
In response to dropping an advertising campaign starring Majors, the US Army said: "While Mr. Majors is innocent until proven guilty, prudence dictates that we pull our ads until the investigation into these allegations is complete."
He was also dropped by management company Entertainment 360 as well as by his PR company.
The 33-year-old was cut from forthcoming project The Man in my Basement and he was uninvited from the Met Gala as well.
Still, the allegations are serious.
He’s been charged with assault, attempted assault, harassment, and aggravated harassment.
After he filed his own case against Jabbari, his lawyer released a statement that read: “From the beginning, we have said Jonathan Majors is innocent and provably the victim here.
“Last week, for the first time, Mr. Majors met with the NYPD to present them with evidence of what really happened on that night."
The lawyer continued: “Within hours of viewing the evidence, and conducting their own thorough investigation, the NYPD found probable cause to arrest Grace Jabbari for assaulting Jonathan Majors.
“Considering this development, we extend our gratitude to the NYPD detectives for their efforts.”
After submitting evidence to the court, Majors’ lawyer released a long statement in which she argued: “We strongly suggested the District Attorney dismiss all charges against Mr. Majors immediately and initiate proceedings against Ms. Jabbari, holding her accountable for her crimes.
“While we are hopeful that the District Attorney is reviewing these materials in good faith and will do the right thing soon, to accelerate our case, we’ve requested a trial date ASAP.”