Virginia Giuffre's family speak out after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested

Home> News> US News

Virginia Giuffre's family speak out after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested

It comes as the former Prince was detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Virginia Giuffre's family has issued a statement following the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The former Prince was detained on Thursday (February 19) - his 66th birthday - by Thames Valley police, who confirmed the arrest after photos of officers arriving at his Sandringham Estate home circulated online.

The brother of King Charles, Andrew, was stripped of his royal title last year after controversy over his links to convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, who died in prison in August 2019 while awaiting trial on federal sex trafficking charges.

Giuffre, who died by suicide last year, had made a series of allegations about the former Duke of York dating back to 2001 when she met the royal family member in London, UK.

She had claimed that she was sexually abused by Andrew on three occasions when she was a teenager after being trafficked by Epstein's accomplices, including Ghislaine Maxwell, allegations which Andrew has continuously denied.

Speaking out on Andrew's arrest, Giuffre's family said in a statement: "At last. Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

"On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley Police for their investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

"He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you."

King Charles also addressed his younger brother's arrest, sharing: "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

"What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.

The King continued: "In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course."

He continued: "As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.

Virginia Giuffre died at the age of 41 in April 2025  (Jeenah Moon/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Virginia Giuffre died at the age of 41 in April 2025 (Jeenah Moon/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

"Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all. Charles R."

Thames Valley Police Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright confirmed police had opened an investigation into an allegation of misconduct in public office.

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, the offence is 'serious wilful abuse or neglect' of powers relating to the role in public office.

“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence," Constable Wright added.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

If you've been affected by any of the issues in this article, you can contact The National Sexual Assault Hotline on 800.656.HOPE (4673), available 24/7. Or you can chat online via online.rainn.org.

Featured Image Credit: Virginia Roberts Giuffre

Topics: News, Prince Andrew, Royal Family, Virginia Giuffre, Jeffrey Epstein, Crime, UK News