• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
JD Vance responds after home was 'attacked' with windows smashed

Home> News> US News

Updated 17:05 5 Jan 2026 GMTPublished 16:15 5 Jan 2026 GMT

JD Vance responds after home was 'attacked' with windows smashed

The Vice President said a 'crazy person' had tried to enter his home

Ellie Kemp

Ellie Kemp

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

JD Vance has spoken out after a man was arrested for 'hammering' his Ohio home this morning (January 5).

The suspect was physically detained by US Secret Service officers just after midnight and has since been taken into custody by the Cincinnati Police Department, the agency said, via Fox News.

The individual, since identified as 26-year-old William DeFoore, has been charged with one count of obstructing official business, one count of criminal damaging or endangering and one count of criminal trespass and one count of vandalism, Fox News reports.

He is believed to have caused property damage, including breaking windows on the exterior of a home, a Secret Service spokesperson, Anthony Guglielmi, said.

Advert

Police said that the family weren't in the property, nor in Ohio, at the time of the incident.

A law enforcement official told CNN that they did not gain access to or enter the home, and that authorities were investigating whether the suspect was targeting Vance or his family.

Now, the Vice President himself has addressed the situation and given his thanks to the emergency services.

26-year-old William DeFoor was taken into custody on Monday (Hamilton County Justice Center)
26-year-old William DeFoor was taken into custody on Monday (Hamilton County Justice Center)

Taking to X, Vance said: "I appreciate everyone's well wishes about the attack at our home. As far as I can tell, a crazy person tried to break in by hammering the windows. I'm grateful to the Secret Service and the Cincinnati police for responding quickly."

He added that his family wasn't home at the time and 'had returned already to DC'.

The 41-year-old concluded with 'one request to the media,' writing: "We try to protect our kids as much as possible from the realities of this life of public service.

"In that light, I am skeptical of the news value of plastering images of our home with holes in the windows."

Vance had been in Cincinnati as recently as last weekend, however, Fox News added.

The Secret Service is coordinating with the Cincinnati Police Department and the US Attorney’s Office as prosecutors to review potential charges.


A spokesperson for the Vice President previously said Vance returned to Cincinnati after the operation in Venezuela to take President Nicolás Maduro into custody concluded on Saturday.

It comes as tensions between Washington and Caracas continue to escalate following the US’s shock intervention in Venezuela, which saw Maduro removed and Delcy Rodríguez installed as acting president.

Despite Donald Trump claiming the country has been brought under US control, Rodríguez has openly rejected American demands and framed the intervention as a violation of international law, raising fears of a prolonged standoff over Venezuela’s oil resources.

JD Vance took to X to break his silence (Tom Brenner-Pool/Getty Images)
JD Vance took to X to break his silence (Tom Brenner-Pool/Getty Images)

Trump told The Atlantic that Rodríguez could pay 'a very big price' if she does not 'do what's right' and cooperate with his demands to hand over Venezuela's nationalized oil industry to American business interests, after they were expropriated over 20 years ago.

But there appears to be little sign from Rodríguez of bending the knee, with the 56-year-old socialist demanding the return of Maduro, who she still views as the country's 'only' leader.

Featured Image Credit: Tom Brenner-Pool/Getty Images

Topics: JD Vance, Politics, US News, Crime

Ellie Kemp
Ellie Kemp

Ellie joined UNILAD in 2024, specialising in SEO and trending content. She moved from Reach PLC where she worked as a senior journalist at the UK’s largest regional news title, the Manchester Evening News. She also covered TV and entertainment for national brands including the Mirror, Star and Express. In her spare time, Ellie enjoys watching true crime documentaries and curating the perfect Spotify playlist.

X

@EllieKempOnline

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • (Michael Buckner/Getty)
    an hour ago

    Conan O’Brien breaks silence on Rob Reiner’s death after director was killed hours after attending his party

    Reflecting on both Reiner's legacy and the tragedy of his death, all in one

    Celebrity
  • Getty Stock
    an hour ago

    Woman who lost her husband and her brother to same disease as Eric Dane reveals the subtle first symptoms they noticed

    Actor Eric Dane's death from ALS, a common form of motor neuron disease, has brought renewed attention to the debilitating disease

    News
  • DeFodi Images/Getty
    2 hours ago

    Olympic speed skater rushed to hospital after opponent’s blade slices her face in horror injury

    The blade sliced directly into Polish skater Kamilla Sellier's face after an illegal move at the 2026 Winter Olympic event

    News
  • The Washington Post/Getty
    3 hours ago

    GoFundMe for Eric Dane’s family surpasses $131,000 with massive donation from director

    Director joins fans rallying behind the late actor’s family for support

    Celebrity
  • Trump makes serious threat to new Venezuelan leader before she is sworn as president
  • JD Vance slammed after making 'disgraceful' gesture in front of audience on live TV
  • Everyone’s saying the same thing as JD Vance reveals Halloween costume
  • Awkward moment JD Vance cut off live TV after lashing out about show's ratings