• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
153 people crushed to death as thousands gather for Halloween celebration

Home> News

Updated 10:06 30 Oct 2022 GMTPublished 09:35 30 Oct 2022 GMT

153 people crushed to death as thousands gather for Halloween celebration

The chaos has led to one of the country’s worst disasters in memory

Daisy Phillipson

Daisy Phillipson

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

South Korea is in mourning after at least 153 people died in a crush during a Halloween celebration.

Tens of thousands of people had descended on the streets of the popular party district of Itaewon on Saturday (29 October) as it marked the first Halloween weekend since Covid restrictions had lifted in the country.

The night descended into chaos when crowds began to grow, with photos and footage shared on social media showing hundreds of partygoers – many in their teens and 20s – crammed into a narrow alley.

At least 153 people sadly lost their lives in Itaewon.
Newscom/Alamy Stock Photo

Advert

South Korean news agency Yonhap said many victims suffered from 'cardiac arrest' while others reported 'difficulties breathing'.

According to Choi Seong-beom, head of the fire department in Yongsan, a total of 153 people, including 20 foreigners, were killed in the crush, while 82 were injured, 19 of which were considered serious.

Among those who lost their lives, at least 97 were women.

Officials have warned that the death toll could rise due to those who sustained serious injuries.

The foreigners killed were from countries including Australia, Iran, Uzbekistan, China and Norway.

Though it's not known what caused the crush, some have suggested thousands piled in to 'see a celebrity' at a bar, but this is yet to be confirmed.

Authorities are now investigating the incident.
Xinhua/Alamy Stock Photo

The catastrophe, which is one of the worst in South Korea's history, saw more than 1,700 emergency response forces arrive on the scene.

This figure included 517 firefighters, 1,100 police officials and about 70 government workers.

President Yoon Suk-yeol has declared a period of mourning, which will run until midnight on 5 November.

He said: "A tragedy that should not have happened occurred in the middle of Seoul last night on Halloween.

"I pray for those who died in an unexpected accident and hope that the injured will recover quickly."

Announcing that an investigation into the disaster is underway, he also said measures will be executed to ensure incidents like this never happen again.

South Korea is now in a national period of mourning.
Newscom/Alamy Stock Photo

"We will have relevant ministries such as the Ministry of the Interior and Safety conduct emergency inspections not only for Halloween events but also for local festivals and thoroughly manage them so they are conducted in an orderly and safe manner," he added.

The Seoul city government said that 355 missing person reports had been made in connection with the accident as of this morning (30 October).

If you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence contact Cruse Bereavement Care via their national helpline on 0808 808 1677

Featured Image Credit: Xinhua/Newscom/Alamy

Topics: World News, Halloween

Daisy Phillipson
Daisy Phillipson

Daisy graduated from Kingston University with a degree in Magazine Journalism, writing a thesis on the move from print to digital publishing. Continuing this theme, she has written for a range of online publications including Digital Spy and Little White Lies, with a particular passion for TV and film. Contact her on [email protected]

X

@DaisyWebb77

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

8 hours ago
9 hours ago
10 hours ago
  • Keegan Barber/NASA via Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    NASA blast Boeing and reveal exactly what they think was to blame after astronauts were stranded in space for months

    A NASA boss has said that the failure of a Starliner was a 'Type A' mishap

    News
  • Getty Stock Image
    8 hours ago

    Scientist gave octopus MDMA and recorded shocking results

    The study examined how the octopuses' behaviour changed when they were given the drug

    News
  • Fox43 News/YouTube
    9 hours ago

    86-year-old farmer rejects $15 million offer from AI data center to sell his land and makes his own deal

    Mervin Raudabaugh has farmed the land for 50 years

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    10 hours ago

    Doctor reveals what happens when you smoke a single cigarette and impact it has on your body

    That 'just one' cigarette might not be as harmless as you think

    News
  • 'Sitophilia' fetish explained as sex trend is on the rise with more people wanting to try it
  • Sex experts break down what happens when you stop having sex and why it's worse for women
  • Spain train crash survivor describes 'earthquake' feeling as train derailed and killed 39 people
  • Elon Musk slammed for chilling war prediction in tweet as people call for government to intervene