Advert

Prince Andrew Deletes All Social Media Accounts Amid Sex Abuse Scandal

Published 
| Last updated 

Prince Andrew Deletes All Social Media Accounts Amid Sex Abuse ScandalAlamy

Prince Andrew appears to have left social media, with users across various platforms discovering that his Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts are no longer available.

In a move that comes less than a week after the Duke of York was stripped of his military titles and Royal patronages, social media users discovered that when trying to visit his Twitter page, the message ‘This account doesn’t exist – try searching for another’ appears.

Advert

Prince Andrew’s Instagram account, meanwhile, is still live but has been made private. His Facebook account is still live, although hasn’t been updated since 2020 – the accounts on both platforms appear with the handle @hrthedukeofyork.

Prince Andrew (PA Images)PA

The move is very recent, with the Daily Express reporting that the accounts were still active up until this morning. It had been confirmed changes to his accounts were coming in alignment with ‘the recent statement from Buckingham Palace’.

Speaking to the Express, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said, ‘Changes have been made to reflect the recent statement from Buckingham Palace regarding The Duke of York.’

Advert

Meanwhile, a source said, ‘These channels were established to reflect The Duke’s official work with patronages, charities and military associations and have not been in regular use since The Duke stepped back from official duties in November 2019.’

Eventually, it’s expected that all of Andrew’s social media channels will be made unavailable, but it is thought some of them are taking longer to filter through.

Prince Andrew and Virginia Roberts (Alamy)Alamy

In a statement delivered on January 13, the palace stripped Prince Andrew of his military titles and Royal patronages.

Advert

The statement announcing the changes read:

With the Queen’s approval and agreement, the Duke of York’s military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to the Queen.

The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.

It came after US judge Lewis Kaplan gave the go-ahead for a civil trial to take place in the sexual abuse lawsuit brought against him by Virginia Roberts Giuffre, despite the Duke of York’s attempt to get the case tossed out.

Giuffre filed the lawsuit in August last year under the Child Victims Act in New York, claiming she was trafficked by convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein to have sex with the Duke while she was 17. Prince Andrew has denied all allegations.

Advert

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]

Topics: News, Duke of York, Prince Andrew, Sexual abuse, Virginia Giuffre

Credits

The Daily Express
  1. The Daily Express

    Andrew steps away from Twitter, Facebook and Instagram after losing Royal Family titles

Simon Catling
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Taliban spend day on pedalos as they celebrate year of ruling Afghanistan

9 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

California will become first state to offer free school meals to every kid

10 hours ago