Heartbroken dad warns chroming can kill ‘in an instant’ after 14-year-old daughter dies from similar issue
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Just Giving
Another set of parents have spoken out in heartbroken warning about the dangers of aerosol products after their 14-year-old passed away.
Earlier this year, the parents of Australian student Esra Haynes spoke out to warn against a dangerous trend calling 'chroming' after the 13-year-old passed away after inhaling potentially harmful chemicals from an aerosol deodorant bottle.
And now, Clare and Paul Green are speaking out to raise awareness of the dangers of aerosol products too after their 14-year-old daughter Giorgia died from deodorant inhalation.
Clare had been out shopping with Giorgia earlier in the day and the teenager bought a deodorant bottle.
Giorgia - who was autistic - 'liked to spray' her deodorant around her room and on her blanket 'if she felt a bit anxious because it gave her a sense of comfort,' her dad tells the Sun.
However, little did the parents realise that the aerosol would bring the opposite of comfort to their daughter.
On May 11 2022, Giorgia was found unresponsive in her bedroom.
Her bedroom door was open, Paul says, although noting the amount of deodorant in the room 'isn't clear but it would be more than you would normally spray'.
Giorgia had suffered a cardiac arrest and her death was ruled as 'unascertained but consistent with inhalation of aerosol,' according to the BBC.
Paul told the Sun: "I sat in hospital, holding my daughter’s hand and I couldn't believe what had happened.
"I could barely speak. My baby was gone."
While the British Aerosol Manufacturers' Association (BAMA) notes that there are 'very clear warnings' on products about the potential dangers of the chemicals inside - such as 'keep out of reach of children' - the Greens argue that the warning is too small.
Paul continues: "Giorgia might not have died under the same circumstances as Esra in Australia, but we found it very upsetting that someone had died from the same product.
"I really worry about this becoming a social media trend because people can die in an instant - that’s what’s so scary about aerosols.
"Everyone has a limit as to how much of any toxic substance the body can withstand.
"All it takes is to go a tiny bit over your tolerance level and you can end up like Giorgia."
Paul and Clare have since set out to raise awareness of the dangers of aerosols and to warn other parents because they 'had no idea just how lethal it could be'.
"We don't want our daughter's death to be in vain."
If you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence, contact Cruse Bereavement Care via their national helpline on 0808 808 1677