unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Elon Musk has completed his takeover of Twitter and has already 'fired top executives'
Home>News
Published 03:44 28 Oct 2022 GMT+1

Elon Musk has completed his takeover of Twitter and has already 'fired top executives'

It looks like it's been an absolute bloodbath from the get-go.

Stewart Perrie

Stewart Perrie

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Britta Pedersen/dpa-Zentralbild/dpa-pool/dpa/Alamy Live News. Elon Musk/Twitter.

Topics: Elon Musk, Twitter, News

Stewart Perrie
Stewart Perrie

Stewart Perrie is a Senior Journalist at LADbible. Stewart has covered the conflict in Syria for LADbible, interviewing a doctor on the front line, and has contributed to the hugely successful UOKM8 campaign. He is in charge of the LADbible Australia editorial content and social presence.

X

@stewartperrie

Advert

Advert

Advert

Elon Musk has finally completed his takeover of Twitter.

The tech billionaire was in a race against time as the deadline to complete the deal was going to run out on Friday (October 28).

However, it looks like he's managed to dot all the i's and cross all the t's just in the nick of time.

Twitter investor Ross Gerber, chief executive of Gerber Kawasaki Investments in California, told the BBC that the deal is now done.

Advert

"I think the court pushed him over the line," he said.

"Quite frankly, this has sort of been a disaster from the beginning, of course, starting off very aggressively courting Twitter in a way that really forced Twitter to the table... then getting all upset and having a public spat over what to me was pretty well known issues."

However, it seems like it's been an absolute bloodbath straight from the get-go.

Several American news outlets are reporting that Musk has fired several top executives as one of his first orders.

The New York Times, The Washington Post, CNN and others say Twitter’s chief executive, Parag Agrawal, chief financial officer, Ned Segal, top legal and policy executive, Vijaya Gadde, and general counsel, Sean Edgett, have all been booted.

Sources within the company say at least one of the executives had to be escorted out of the building.

UNILAD has reached out to Twitter for comment to confirm the allegations.

Musk revealed earlier this week the reason behind why he launched his multi-billion dollar takeover of the social media company.

“There has been much speculation about why I bought Twitter and what I think about advertising,” Musk wrote on Twitter.

“Most of it has been wrong.”

Dear Twitter Advertisers pic.twitter.com/GMwHmInPAS

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 27, 2022

He explained: “The reason I acquired Twitter is because it is important to the future of civilization to have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a healthy manner, without resorting to violence.”

Musk added: "I didn’t do it because it would be easy. I didn’t to it to make more money. I did it to try to help humanity, whom I love.”

He rocked up to the Twitter offices with a kitchen sink and told staff to let the deal 'sink in'. Classic.

Musk also could keep the staff bloodbath going.

According to documents seen by The Washington Post, the tech billionaire wants to let go nearly 75 per cent of Twitter’s 7,500 workers, which will reduce its staff to just over 2,000 people.

The company was apparently planning to decrease its payroll by USD $800 million (AUD $1.2b or £714m) by the end of next year, which would subsequently cut almost a quarter of its workers.

Bloomberg reported that in April, Musk told investors in his initial pitch that he planned on laying off a significant portion of the company's staff.

Choose your content:

24 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • @‌ganleygabriel/Instagram
    24 mins ago

    Bodybuilder and fitness influencer Gabriel Ganley has died aged 22

    Young fitness fanatic Gabriel Ganley's death has sparked a debate around unhealthy choices in the bodybuilding community

    News
  • Netflix
    an hour ago

    Mackenzie Shirilla's former prison inmate makes 'sugar daddy websites' claim

    Mackenzie Shirilla was 17 when she crashed a car, killing Dominic Russo and friend Davion Flanagan.

    News
  • DAN EUROPE
    an hour ago

    First photos released showing 'shark cave' where five tourists died in Maldives scuba tragedy

    The photos show how just one misplaced flick of a fin can drastically reduce visibility

    News
  • @‌selinawangtv/X
    2 hours ago

    Reporter filming outside White House during shooting ducks for cover in footage

    Nasire Best was shot by the Secret Service outside the White House on May 23

    News
  • Jury rules against Elon Musk in major Twitter lawsuit that could cost him billions
  • Elon Musk and Nicki Minaj's friendship explained after her surprise appearance at SpaceX Starship launch
  • Elon Musk makes huge change to Grok AI and Twitter users aren't happy
  • Elon Musk has ominous response to Trump’s deportation threat amid public feud