To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Granddad dies days after his wife was crushed to death by Denny's sign

Granddad dies days after his wife was crushed to death by Denny's sign

The accident is believed to have been a result of extreme weather

A granddad has died just days after his wife was crushed to death by a Denny’s sign in a tragic accident.

Lillian Curtis, 72, died after a 2,600lb sign outside a Denny’s restaurant in Kentucky fell onto her car on 19 January.

At the time, she had been in the car with husband Lloyd and their daughter Mary, and was seated in the back.

While it is still not know how the accident happened, it is believed extreme weather may have played a role, with Elizabethtown Police spokesman Chris Denham saying: "I've never seen anything like this. It's certainly very windy out here and I'm certain that did have a factor and was involved in this."

A Denny’s spokesperson also told WAVE in a statement that the company was aware of the incident.

The sign is believed to have fallen down in high winds.

“Safety is our top priority, and we are working with the authorities to better understand what led to this situation,” they said.

“Our thoughts are with all of those involved.”

The family were driving home after collecting Lloyd from hospice care, following heart surgery at the University of Louisville Hospital. He had previously been told he had just three months to live due to his health issues.

After being rushed to hospital, Lillian was sadly declared dead, while 58-year-old Mary received further treatment.

However, the family's grief did not stop there, as Lillian and Lloyd’s granddaughter confirmed that Lloyd has now also died.

The family have also set up a GoFundMe to help with memorial costs.

She wrote on Facebook: “I have no words to describe how I feel at this moment. Grandpa went to be with Granny at 130 this morning.

"I am in disbelief that this has happened to our family. RIP Papaw you and Nanny are finally together.”

In an interview with WLKY, Amy said Lloyd had wanted to be reunited with his wife before he passed away on 23 January.

She explained: "He told the hospice nurse last night when she asked him what he wanted, and he said: 'My wife back,' and now he is dancing with Nanny."

Amy has paid tribute to her grandparents on Facebook.
Amy Nichols/Facebook

Amy had also paid tribute to her grandmother on Facebook, saying she was the ‘matriarch’ of the family, and the ‘strongest woman’ she had ever seen.

“I don't know how myself or my family can even begin to live in a cold world without her in it,” she said.

"She was my biggest supporter in life and always had me when nobody else did. I am so lost right now I can't even function. She was my Nanny, she was my second momma, she was everything to me.”

UNILAD has contacted Denny's for further comment.

Featured Image Credit: WHAS11/Facebook

Topics: US News