To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Skydiver recorded the moment he jumped from plane without parachute

Skydiver recorded the moment he jumped from plane without parachute

The scary footage was recorded in the 1980s

Harrowing footage shows a skydiver's final moments after he realized her jumped out of a plane without his parachute.

Veteran jumper Ivan Lester McGuire was filming a skydiving lesson in April 1988 and went ahead of the student and instructor to catch the moment on camera.

But it wasn't until after Ivan jumped that he realized he'd left the plane without his parachute.

He then captures his final moments on camera while 10,500 ft up in the air and tragically plummeting to his death.

The final words Ivan said on the recording were: "Oh my god, No!"

Nancy Fayard, wife of parachute center owner Paul Fayard, was quoted in the news at the time.

She told AP: "No one was aware that he got on the plane without a parachute. Of course no one knew or they would have stopped him."

The incident was particularly surprising considering the skydiver had over 800 successful jumps under his belt, leading to officials believing he may have been tired or preoccupied.

"We haven’t gotten all the facts yet. But there is a regulation, No. 105, that states that the pilot must check - well, no one may jump unless the pilot checks the parachutes,” FAA inspector Walter Rigsbee went on to say.

A lengthy investigation took place following the incident.

Pilot Mark Luman was even questioned surrounding the incident, while officials immediately ruled out suicide from their investigation.

It was finally concluded that Ivan simply forgotten his parachute and his death was accidental, in what was truly a tragic and unfortunate incident.

He died at the age of 35. He hoped to launch a career as as a skydiving photographer, according to AP.

The skydiver's body was found between one and one-and-a-half miles away from the airfield where the plane took off.

Fellow skydiver Joan Murray almost ended up with the same tragic fate in 1999 when her parachute failed to open.

Panicked, Joan continued to pull on the parachute toggle and it eventually opened.

Joan Murray almost suffered the same fate.
Wilmington Cares

It quickly became tangled, however, due to the fact Joan had been spinning.

While Joan only had a 50 percent chance of surviving the ordeal, the then-47-year-old landed on a mound of red ants.

While most people wouldn't volunteer themselves to sit on a pile of red ants, it was actually the insects that saved Joan's life.

The ants attacked Joan upon her fall, and it was their venom that kept her heart beating as the attack sparked a surge of adrenaline through her body.

She went on to be rescued and rushed to a local hospital, where she found to have several shattered bones and broken teeth.

Joan may have ended up seriously injured, but it was still a miracle that she lived to tell the tale.

Featured Image Credit: Twitter/@Morbidful

Topics: Life, News