To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Pink reveals she almost died after overdosing aged 16
Featured Image Credit: YouTube/60 Minutes

Pink reveals she almost died after overdosing aged 16

The star said that she had been 'off the rails'

Content warning: This article contains discussions of drug use

Pink has revealed that she almost died from an overdose when she was just 16 years old.

In an interview with 60 Minutes, the singer revealed that when she was younger she had struggled with drug misuse, including selling drugs as well as taking them.

Pink revealed that she almost died from an overdose at 16.
Gilbert Flores/Billboard via Getty Images

Pink said that this had included a variety of different substances.

And there was one incident in particular which led to her having a wake up call.

Pink told journalist Cecilia Vega: “I was a punk. I had a mouth. I had a chip on my shoulder.

“Basically, I grew up in a house where every day my parents were screaming at each other, throwing things, hated each other."

She continued: "And then I got into drugs. I was selling drugs. And then I was kicked out of the house. I dropped out of high school. I was off the rails.”

The singer has lost friends to drugs.
Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images

The 'So What' singer revealed that things came to a head when she went to a rave at Thanksgiving in 1995. She explained that she had taken a number of different substances, which led to her overdosing.

Pink said: "Thanksgiving of 1995 I was at a rave, and I overdosed.

“I was on - oh boy - ecstasy, angel dust, crystal, all kinds of things. And then I was out. Done. Too much.”

Vega then asked if she 'almost died' and Pink confirmed: “Yeah.”

Fortunately, she survived the ordeal and says that it served as a wake up call to her.

Just weeks after the star stopped using 'hard drugs' she got her first record deal with her R&B girl group Choice.

In a 2012 interview with Shape, Pink said: “It wasn’t to the point of going to the hospital, but I remember getting up off the floor in the morning - and that was the last time I ever touched a drug again.”

The artist's swearing off drugs was helped when a local DJ offered a spot performing at a hip hop night, with one caveat.

She said: “His only caveat was that I couldn’t do drugs, so I didn’t. That’s the thing with me - once I make up my mind, I’m done.”

Pink has previously opened up about how she has lost friends to overdoses, including Sekou Harris who died when they were just 14 years old.

Earlier this year she told The Kelly Clarkson Show: “I lost several friends, unfortunately, to overdose, and the second one was very, very, very close to me, and I loved him very much.”

If you've been affected by the contents of this article and are looking for confidential and anonymous information related to drug addiction treatment you can call American Addiction Centers on 405-251-8425 available 24 hours seven days-a-week.

Topics: News, US News, Celebrity, Music, Drugs