• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Sarah Michelle Gellar says she was sued by McDonald’s at age 5 for bizarre reason

Home> Celebrity> News

Published 16:55 11 Aug 2025 GMT+1

Sarah Michelle Gellar says she was sued by McDonald’s at age 5 for bizarre reason

The Buffy star caused quite the stir for McDonald's with her first advert

Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard Kaonga

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Sarah Michelle Gellar ended up getting caught up in a McDonald’s lawsuit after starring in a very brief ad for a competitor.

Gellar, who is known for her roles in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Scooby-Doo and I Know What You Did Last Summer, had her small-screen debut when she was just 5-years-old back in 1981 and it would cause quite a stir.

But it wasn’t because of the way Gellar acted, in fact she was quite adorable in the advert, but rather she took a jab at McDonald's while starring in the ad for a competitor.

Companies taking shots at one another is pretty normal these days, but this wasn’t always the case.

Advert

And the dialogue Gellar spoke proved to get the people at McDonald’s pretty riled up.

In the old Burger King advert, the adorable Gellar said: “Do I look 20 percent smaller to you, I must to McDonald's.

“When I order a regular burger at McDonald's, they make it with 20 percent less meat than Burger King, unbelievable.

“Luckily, I know the perfect way to show McDonald’s how I feel, I go to Burger King.”

The video then panned up to the Burger King store behind Gellar and the company's jingle at the time began to play and close out the advert.

Gellar spoke to Buzzfeed UK about getting caught up in the lawsuit and said: “This is really funny. This was this big campaign that I did for Burger King and I was 5.

“And I was the first person to say another competitor’s name in a job and so McDonald’s turned around and sued the advertising agency, Burger King and me at 5.”

In 1982, McDonald’s sued Burger King, the ad agency J. Walter Thompson and named Gellar as the star of multiple ads in what it described as ‘false, deceptive, disparaging, unfair and misleading’ campaign.

The lawsuit was eventually resolved and the ads were pulled from circulation (Smgvids/YouTube/Burger King)
The lawsuit was eventually resolved and the ads were pulled from circulation (Smgvids/YouTube/Burger King)

The lawsuit was eventually settled and the ads were pulled from rotation.

Gellar has also previously spoken about how this whole situation impacted her childhood, noting that she didn’t frequent McDonald’s all that much afterwards.

Speaking to the Sunday Express in 2004, she said: “Banned is a strong word [but] I wasn’t allowed to eat there. It was tough because, when you’re a little kid, McDonald’s is where all your friends have their birthday parties, so I missed out on a lot of apple pies."

But since the lawsuit has been resolved, Gellar can eat at McDonald’s to her heart's content and I'm sure she’s loving it.

UNILAD has contacted McDonald's for comment

Featured Image Credit: Maya Dehlin Spach/Getty Images

Topics: Celebrity, McDonalds, News, US News, Burger King, Entertainment, Film and TV

Gerrard Kaonga
Gerrard Kaonga

Gerrard is a Journalist at UNILAD and has dived headfirst into covering everything from breaking global stories to trending entertainment news. He has a bachelors in English Literature from Brunel University and has written across a number of different national and international publications. Most notably the Financial Times, Daily Express, Evening Standard and Newsweek.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
8 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • Mike Pont/WireImage via Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    New update in case of former NFL star suing ex-wife over 'invasive' manhood size comments

    Haley Kalil is trying to have a lawsuit filed against her by her ex-husband Matt Kalil dismissed

    Celebrity
  • Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic via Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Penis growth explained after weight loss as Jelly Roll's wife makes NSFW confession following his 275lb transformation

    Bunny Xo spoke candidly about the couple's sex life and how it changed after Jelly Roll lost weight

    Celebrity
  • Manoli Figetakis/Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Drew Barrymore explains why she can go 'years' without having sex

    The Charlie's Angels star admitted she can go 'years' without sex in response to Andrew Garfield's comments.

    Celebrity
  • Joe Maher/Getty Images/Karwai Tang/WireImage via Getty Images
    12 hours ago

    Jason Bateman responds to criticism after asking Charli XCX why she doesn't want kids

    Charli XCX appeared on Bateman's podcast, where things took an awkward turn

    Celebrity
  • Sarah Michelle Gellar reveals the one 'simple secret' to her happy 23-year marriage with Freddie Prinze Jr.
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans lose it as Sarah Michelle Gellar confirms major change in upcoming reboot
  • Jennifer Garner says she wants to ‘wipe the floor’ with Judy Greer as star admits she’s 'afraid of her'
  • Stephen King explained why his wife threatened to divorce him over bizarre Mambo No. 5 habit