Jonathan Majors arrested for alleged assault
| Last updated
Featured Image Credit: Jeffrey Mayer / Erik Pendzich / Alamy
Jonathan Majors was arrested in New York after being accused of assaulting a woman in a domestic dispute, police have said.
New York Police Department officers responded to a 911 call at an apartment in New York City's Chelsea neighbourhood at around 11am yesterday (March 25) in which a 33-year-old man was involved in a domestic dispute with a 30-year-old woman.
According to a police statement about the incident the woman had sustained minor injuries to her head and neck and was taken to hospital.
The man in the alleged incident was identified as Majors, who was arrested on charges of strangulation, assault and harassment.
They said: "The victim informed police she was assaulted. Officers placed the 33-year-old male into custody without incident."
The NYPD have since confirmed that Majors is no longer in their custody.
A representative for Majors denied wrongdoing on his part and said they would be working in clearing his name in the wake of the alleged assault.
They said: "He has done nothing wrong. We look forward to clearing his name and clearing this up."
In recent months, the profile of Hollywood star Majors has grown significantly after he appeared in a major role in the third Creed movie and took on the part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's next overarching villain, Kang the Conqueror.
His breakthrough role came in 2019 with his performance in The Last Black Man in San Francisco, while he has also appeared in major TV show roles in Lovecraft Country and Loki.
More recently he has appeared in Sundance Film Festival entry Magazine Dreams, and if his role in the MCU pans out as expected he will be making several more appearances on cinema screens in a starring role.
Majors previously said that Heath Ledger's iconic performance as The Joker in The Dark Knight was an inspiration for his acting career.
He also dismissed criticism of recent movie Ant Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, saying it 'doesn't change how I see myself' and explaining that he doesn't take poor reviews of his movies from critics personally.
One would assume that in the next few years he is scheduled to have a major starring role in 2025's Avengers: The Kang Dynasty considering it's got his character's name in it along perhaps with Avengers: Secret Wars set to release in cinemas the following year.
However, in the near future the actor's attention will be focused on the alleged assault.