unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Google accidentally sent quarter of a million dollars to blogger and took a month to ask for it back
Home>Technology
Updated 17:23 18 Sep 2022 GMT+1Published 14:34 18 Sep 2022 GMT+1

Google accidentally sent quarter of a million dollars to blogger and took a month to ask for it back

A blogger has been left stunned after he was accidentally sent a quarter of a million dollars by Google.

Callum Jones

Callum Jones

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: @samwcyo/Twitter/Shutterstock

Topics: Google, News

Callum Jones
Callum Jones

Advert

Advert

Advert

In a quite frankly bizarre story, a blogger was left shocked after Google sent him $250,000 by mistake and took nearly a month to ask for it back.

Sam Curry, a security engineer and blogger, was sent the exact amount of $249,999.99 (£217k) by the tech giant last month and the company has been in no rush to get it back.

The engineer tweeted on Wednesday with a screenshot of the money in his bank account saying: "It's been a little over three weeks since Google randomly sent me $249,999 and I still haven't heard anything on the support ticket. Is there any way we could get in touch."

He jokingly added: "It's OK if you don't want it back..."

Advert

People have reacted to the astonishing post on Twitter, one said: "I mean, I'm just legitimately curious about that missing cent."

Meanwhile, a second added: "Gotta hand it to you: if I were you, I'd be the man formerly known as Sam Curry."

Curry has said he has not spent a single cent of the money to NPR news, as Google would inevitably ask for it back.

He also said he sometimes does 'bug bounty hunting' and fixes for Google to help it find vulnerabilities in its software - which is where the mix-up may have happened.

Curry also told the publication if Google took too long to get back to him, then he would consider moving the money to a separate bank account to avoid paying taxes on it.

A Google spokesperson told NPR: "Our team recently made a payment to the wrong party as the result of human error. We appreciate that it was quickly communicated to us by the impacted partner, and we are working to correct it."

The Google spokesperson also told the publication it would be taking the money back nearly a month after it was first falsely transferred.

Google has said it plans to have the money back.
PjrStudio / Alamy Stock Photo

Curry confirmed to UNILAD on Sunday (19 September) that the mega-money had been returned: "Got in touch with Google and wired everything back," he said.

These type of mistakes are more common that you may think - recently it was reported Crypto.com accidentally transferred $10 million to a woman instead of $100.

Thevamanogari Manivel had been waiting on a $100 refund from the cryptocurrency exchange company when she was shocked by all the zeros in her bank account.

The company only realised seven month later, and by that point the Aussie had spent a lot of the money.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected] 

Choose your content:

2 days ago
4 days ago
  • Getty Stock Images
    2 days ago

    Security experts share key advice as Instagram DMs are no longer 'private' after huge change

    It's recommended you move 'sensitive conversations' to other platforms

    Technology
  • Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
    2 days ago

    AI responds to ChatGPT CEO's warning that the tech will surpass humans by 2030

    Sam Altman said AI could become 'superintelligent' within a matter of years

    Technology
  • Brendan Smialowski - Pool/Getty Images
    2 days ago

    Trump forced to ditch his trusty cellphone as he barreled into high-stakes China summit with Xi

    Donald Trump left China today (May 15) following a two-day state trip

    Technology
  • Graham Hughes/Bloomberg via Getty Images
    4 days ago

    'AI godfather' issues grim 10-year warning as he raises concerns about serious risks to humanity

    Yoshua Bengio said that giving AI's rights would be like giving citizenship to 'hostile extraterrestrials'

    Technology
  • Caitlyn Jenner alleges late friend Sophia Hutchins owed her almost half a million dollars
  • Fundraiser for elderly DoorDash driver raises half a million dollars after customer learned truth of his situation
  • Urgent warning issued to Gmail users as 183 million passwords stolen in major breach
  • How to get money from $135 million Android settlement as millions of users could be eligible