The tour guide company that organized a trip for a group of skiers who have since gone missing near Lake Tahoe have issued a statement.
On Tuesday (February 17), 15 people were hit by an avalanche. While six have survived the incident, nine remain missing, despite a huge rescue mission to locate them.
Severe weather conditions and the impending danger of more slides have made the operation particularly difficult.
Blackbird Mountain Guides have now issued a statement, explaining that the trip was organized for 11 clients and four tour guides.
Advert
The statement explained that the skiers had been returning at the end of the tour when the avalanche hit.

“Blackbird Mountain Guides is currently responding to a serious backcountry incident involving an avalanche that occurred this morning, February 17, near the Frog Lake huts in the Castle Peak area," the company explained.
“A total of 11 clients and four guides had been staying at the Frog Lake huts since February 15. The group was in the process of returning to the trailhead at the conclusion of a three-day trip when the incident occurred.
“The leadership team at Blackbird Mountain Guides is working in full coordination with the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office and Nevada County Search and Rescue to support the ongoing rescue operation.
“Blackbird Mountain Guides is in direct contact with the emergency contacts of the affected clients and guides and is providing them with regular updates as verified information becomes available.”

Out of the six who have so far been rescued, two were taken to hospital for treatment, Ashley Quadros, a spokesperson for the Nevada County Sheriff's Office, explained.
The state of California has been hit by widespread storms this week, with thunder, snow and high speed winds battering the region.
Experts have said that the backcountry is particularly hazardous, with Brandon Schwartz, Tahoe National Forest lead avalanche forecaster at the Sierra Avalanche Center, telling Sky News: "It's particularly dangerous in the backcountry right now, just because we're at the height of the storm."

An avalanche warning was issued for the Central Sierra Nevada area from 5am on Tuesday.
“The Sierra Avalanche Center previously issued an avalanche warning for today, Feb. 17, which has been in effect since 5am today through Feb. 18 at 5am, stating: 'HIGH avalanche danger exists in the backcountry,' the Nevada County Sheriff’s Department said.
“Large avalanches are expected to occur Tuesday, Tuesday night, and into at least early Wednesday morning across backcountry terrain. HIGH avalanche danger might continue through the day on Wednesday.”